Chapter 23- Graveyards & Fruit Tarts

Tristan dropped me off from the party last night and told me that he wanted to take me somewhere today

Tristan dropped me off from the party last night and told me that he wanted to take me somewhere today. Somewhere we could go so he could tell me the whole truth.

I think I had the biggest smile on my face when he pulled up in his black coupe and he had one to match as I climbed into his car.

"Where are we going?" I asked him.

"Somewhere important to me. You'll see." He said and stuck his hand out for me to hold.

I knew exactly where we were when we pulled into the parking lot. It wasn't very hard to recognize a graveyard.

I looked at him curiously and he nodded his head towards the door before we both got out and started walking.

He took us past several rows of headstones until we got to one with a familiar last name.

Michael Presley

1974-2019

"Here's my dad." He said simply. I looked at him as he sat himself down near the headstone. The date of death was just last year.

"I remember meeting him once." I said quietly and thought of the memory. He showed up to the park we were playing at. He had stepped out of the car to call for Tristan, just once. He never said anything to me, just stood there with his arms crossed, glaring at me until Tristan came to car. I heard him yelling through the open windows as they drove off.

He scared me as kid and Tristan never liked talking about him.

"I don't think he liked me very much." I added and moved to sit down with him.

"He didn't like anyone very much."

"I'm sure he loved you though."

And he didn't say anything to this, he just started at his father's headstone as he picked at some weeds in the ground.

"He was the reason I stopped talking to you in sixth grade." He started and then the words started flowing out of his mouth.

He talked about how his father treated him and how we trained for fighting since he was little. He told me about how his dad died and that he finally met his aunt that he didn't even know he had. How she was the closest thing to a mother he ever knew.

He told me about the man I saw talking to him at the diner, the one that put him in a bad mood. His name was Lachlan.

"He just came over to me, talking about a fight I had next, reminding me that I still owed him. It was what he said to me after that. He looked over at the table and saw you. He said to me 'she looks like quite the distraction.' And just like that I remembered all the reasons I had forced myself to stay away from you in the first place."

I didn't even realize it at the diner, I was too focused on Tristan and what his body language was telling me. But I guess now that I think about it, I did see Lachlan's face because he was looking at me that day.