⩥ 𝗬𝗼𝘂𝗿 𝗠𝗮𝗷𝗲𝘀𝘁𝘆 ⩤ | 𝗧𝗼𝗼𝗿𝘂 𝗢𝗶𝗸𝗮𝘄𝗮 𝘅 𝗥𝗲𝗮𝗱𝗲𝗿 [Pt. 1]

[ fantasy au ]

The cave is dark and gloomy, and dew drips from the ceiling. The day is new but the mountain still feels uneasy. You're deep in the rock, the chirping birds no longer heard.

"Ugh," you groan, "This is seriously disgusting. How do you live like this?"

Blaze grunts, small flames coming through his nostrils, lighting up the cave for a brief moment. 

"You're so messy," you complain, "but hey, I wouldn't expect any less from a man-eating dragon."

You walk up to the large reptile and pat his big head. His eyes are about as big as your whole head, and he could probably eat you in an instant. But you've been friends for years, so why would he?

His blackish-brownish scales match the walls of the cave, camouflaging him and protecting him from stupid princes. 

At least twice a month, a prince comes to 'save' you. It's rumored you've been 'captured' by a fearsome dragon, and your father offered a reward to whomever slays him. Ridiculous.

What they don't know is that you came here willingly. Being a princess sucks.

You live on the side of the mountain and visit the dragon, Blaze, often. He's actually quite good company.

"Okay, tell me what's wrong," you ask the pouting dragon. 

He grunts and huffs, but somehow you understand him. It's like he's part of you. Like your other half.

"Oh come on. You're lonely?" you smirk, "What, not enough princes coming around anymore?"

Usually when a prince does come to the cave, Blaze just spits fire and they run like heck. But he seems to enjoy it. 

"Well you can't leave the cave. The villagers might see you," you tell him. You don't know what you would do if he was captured. He's your only family now.

"You know what, Blaze," you smile at your reptile friend, "we can go hunting! I'm getting tired of just eating berries all day."

You can tell he's excited as he bumbles out of the cave and you hop on his back. He stretches his wings, and looks at you. You nod, and he takes off, into the air.

You watch the mountain shrink behind you and feel the wind in your hair. You and Blaze love to fly together, and you usually don't hunt with him, but today feels special.

It feels like, today, your whole life is going to change.

"Look, Blaze, there!" You point at a herd of wild goats, "No one will miss a goat, right?"

He flies towards the wild herd, eyes concentrated on a specific goat led astray. He swoops down, claws out, and scoops up the animal, killing it instantly. 

"Awesome!" You shout, "We're eating good tonight, Blaze!"

Blaze doesn't have a large appetite, even though he's a large animal, so you two usually share meals. A single goat is less than what you normally both eat, but it's a goat nonetheless.

He turns around and flies back to the cave, swooping through the clouds. He lands at the entrance, and you hop off of his back and go inside, Blaze following close behind.

"Go ahead and set it down," you tell him, and he does. "I'm going to gather some wood to make a fire. I know we both like our goat cooked."

You wave to him and leave the cave, walking down the mountain side to your usual spot to gather firewood. You pick up a few small logs, but stop when you hear something.

"OH DEAR!"

The voice sounds male and nearby. Could someone be in trouble? 

The yell is followed by a few loud horse neighs, and it sounds desperate.

Poor horse. 

You decide to follow the neighing, leaving the wood behind. 

And there, on the edge of a cliff, is a horse with a boy on top. The horse's two front legs are over the cliff, and he's only supported by his back legs, and he has panic in his eyes.

You whistle, and Blaze comes flying, landing near you. 

"Oh goodness! What was that? Is someone there?" The boy on the back of the horse says. He looks your age, and his hair is all messy from wild horse riding. 

"Help the poor horse, Blaze," you ask him, "he's gonna fall!"

Blaze does as he's told and carefully drags the horse backwards by the tail, then blows at the dirt, blinding the person on the back. No one can know about the dragon. 

Dirt flies everywhere, and you can hear the person's voice faking bravery. "Who goes there? Beware! I am Prince Tooru, heir to the throne of Johsai Kingdom!" 

He pulls a sword from his belt, still unable to see. 

Prince? 

"Blaze, he must've come to slay you," you whisper to him, "we must leave quickly."

You hop on the dragon's back, and he takes off, leaving the prince in the dust. Literally.

You hear the prince mutter a few more words to his horse. "Come, Buttercup, we must go save the princess. She's been waiting for her prince for so long."

Oh boy, you think, another one of those kind.

This should be interesting.

❤ ❤ ❤