Chapter 4

Liliana

I gaze at the vast blue in front of me stretched for miles and miles.
So surreal. So peaceful.
Nothing like it can ever relate to anything. The soft breeze carries the salty scent from the sea.

Closing my eyes I inhale the scent. This is paradise. I feel here at ease. My whole self is rejuvenated by the sea breeze and the scent of salty sand it carries. My demons don't haunt me here. This place is sacred. Like the Catholic church. It had always felt like home here, in Nonna's private villa.

The French styled mansion was a wedding gift from Nonno to Nonna and I adore every nook of this villa. Right from the french doors to the french windows which have soft white curtains dancing on the tune of the wind. They had spent their entire life educating and raising the kids here.

Papa and Aunt Gabriella.

When Aunt Gabriella got married, Papa followed suit after six months moving out of the mansion. Papa wanted everyone under one roof. But, Nonno was adamant for spending his days with Nonna. Yes, Nonno was downright Italian. But at the same time, he wanted his children to be independent.

This was paradise to Nonno and Nonna. Their home.
Their own little sanctuary.

We always had family dinner every Saturday. It was a rule Nonno made and we still follow it. When Nonno died Nonna refused to move out. Although, Papa insisted her to move in with us. He was even ready to stay here. However, Nonna being stubborn, refused. She preferred to cherish the memories of her love life. She wanted the whole place to herself. Or so she had declared, which I highly doubt. I believe Nonna did not want to interrupt with Papa and Mamma's life just like Nonno.

Once, I vaguely recall Nonna confessing; Nonno's soul was here. She refused to let go of the love they shared. I didn't get the chance to meet Nonno, he died before I was adopted. However, from the stories, I heard he was as dangerous as Papa.

Everyone feared the Italian Capo Vincenzo De Luca. I had seen the pictures of him with the rest of the family. Even in the black and white photographs which hung on the walls in the corridors, he did seem dangerous to me. He was intimidating. He didn't smile in the photographs. His face remained neutral, devoid of any emotions. Nonna said he preserved it for her. She moreover uncovered, he was a downright romantic husband and a lover which was very hard to reckon with.

"shine in the dark and be your own star." Nonna's voice breaks me from my reverie.
"Huh? Sorry Nonna," I quickly apologise to the older woman.

To say old would be an insult to her. Because even in her late eighties Valentina De Luca still had the killer looks.

Belladonna. Nonno used to call her.

Belladonna, oh yeah, Nonna was beautiful in her days and still is, however she was also known as a killer. She knew her ways with the guns. I'm sure she has one hidden in her skirt and beneath the pillow. After all, she was the Italian capo's wife! And now, The Elder.

"What are you thinking, Bambina?" Her emerald eyes are trained on me. Worry marring in them.

I shake my head in silent apology. To the outer world, she might be The Elder but to me she was Nonna. Always Nonna.

The person who spoke for me and when she spoke, her words were the law. No one dared to go against.
Aunt Gabriella was furious at her mother's decision but didn't dare to cross her. I still got the chills when Aunt Gabriella is in the same room. No one dared to cross the head of the family. Of course, Papa is now 'The Capo' having the full right to make the decisions regarding family or the business matter. However, when it comes to important family crisis or war; The Elder was involved.