Chapter 8

Liliana

The majestic chandelier hung from the ceiling sparkling in tiny and big diamonds. The warm golden glow rendered the room a fairy tale kin version. The soft music glided in the air like a graceful swan. Laughter cloaked the thick tension in the room. Servers sauntered with trays filled with bubbly champagne flutes.

I swallowed the simmering anxiety tightening my hold on Gio's arm as we descended the stairs. For a mere second, I wish I could vanish. I fought the urge to run, instead, I smiled. The laughter seemed to die slowly. Heads turned. Hush murmurs blended in the music.

Everyone's attention on us.
On me.

Chills crawled out down my spine making me shiver. The crowd gaped at me, however, the reason for chills was that one person who loathed me.
I felt his gaze before I saw him. I could sense it in my bones, could feel the blood gushing in my veins. I know his hawk-like eyes engrossed on me closely. Yet, I didn't glance at him. I focused my attention on the two figures standing at the end of the steps.

Papà and Mamma. They were smiling. Papà wearing his black suit and Mamma with her black gown matching with Papà. Mamma said something in Papà's ears and his eyes wrinkled at the edges in a blissful smile. His smile is soft and full of love. Gio let go of my arm giving a peck on my forehead.

"Amore Mio, you are looking beautiful," Papa said as he took me in his embrace.
"Grazie Papà, you look dashing as always," I replied kissing his cheek.
Mamma kissed me on the cheek.
"What did you told Papà?" I asked Mamma.
"Just how fast time flies, " she smiled warmly. Her eyes holding the same look the first time I met her.
"Come. Your husband to be is waiting." Upon hearing Papà's words I stilled.
My spine straightened. Regardless, I nodded absentmindedly.

I linked my arm to his smiling at the crowd. Don't show your weakness, conceal it with the smile. I cued myself.

I sensed him. He is close. Just not in plain sight. Eyeing my every move. Contemplating his next. We passed a few of Papà associates whom I had met previously in many social gatherings.

"Sophia, it's been so long, " Papà greeted my future mother in law kissing her palm.
"Yes indeed," She acknowledged him with a smile, her brown eyes piercing at me. I swallowed the resurfacing guild.

"James, "
"Roberto, " the two elderly yet powerful man embraced each other. The room silenced as they witnessed their embrace. Some even gasped. For a stound, everyone seemed to forget the past.
The tragedy.
The history.
They untangled themselves from the embrace.

"Hello Mrs Marcello, Mr Mrrcello, " I greeted them.
"You look beautiful, sweetheart," James said adoration clear in his eyes.
"Beautiful and tragic," Sophia muttered under her breath. I stilled. The tension grew up to a notch. I chewed on my bottom lip unable to say a word.

"Lily," Victoria squealed pulling me in hug dropping the tense atmosphere.
"Hey, " I mumbled.
"You two know each other already?" James asked.
"Of course, Dad, " Victoria beamed.
"Where is Dominic?" Papà asked.
"Oh, he's there, " Victoria pointed.
Papà gestured me to walk towards my future husband.
"I'll guide her, sir,  " Victoria implied linking her arm in mine.
"Call me anything than sir, little one. You used to call me Uncle, " Papà's eyes softened.
"Yes, Uncle Roberto, " Victoria said timidly. "Lead the way Uncle," Victoria grinned.
Papà chuckled at her childish response shaking his head. We parted through the sea of people.

"Okay, a little heads up on the situation, I don't like the situation," Victoria whispered in my ear.
"What are you talking about?" I asked puzzled.
"Umm you might want to look ahead, " she seemed to apologise.
Confused I looked forward.