Regan frowned, "Why? What's up?"

A few feet away, Loretta stopped. "Regan, I just wanted, well, I wanted to say, thanks." Loretta stated bluntly, albeit with a measure of awkwardness.

"For what?" Regan blinked and looked past Loretta to her grandfather.

"For what you said to Gray." Loretta said frankly.

Regan shrugged her shoulders. "I just told him the truth." She said ingenuously. Regan shrugged again. She didn't want Gray's sister or his grandfather to see just how much she cared for Gray. It needed to remain a secret. Otherwise life would get even more complicated, and more uneasy.

Loretta nodded in agreement before she added. "I know. I know." Loretta nodded again. "But he needed to hear it from someone who wasn't related to him. So thank you."

Regan frowned, "I never took him to be a shrinking violet when it came to dates."

"He isn't." Loretta muttered.

"I thought he'd be confident. You know, arrogant!" Regan puzzled. "But he seemed nervous."

"He never used to be nervous. Not until, well, till he and our grandmother were attacked." Loretta glanced across at her grandfather, not wanting to upset him. "Gray doesn't talk about it." Actually none of the three, Loretta, Sam or Gray, talk about it now. Loretta looked back at her grandfather, not sure if she could tell Regan about their history. Sam nodded. "We tend to avoid talking about the attack." Loretta said quietly.

Regan blinked. Followed by silence. Loretta went to sit beside her grandfather.

"My wife and Gray were attacked, I thought you knew that." Sam announced in the silence that had descended. 

Regan shook her head. "Er, no. I did not know that." Regan was shocked. "You were attacked?"

Sam said quietly, "My wife and Gray, well, they were the only two at home, at the time."

Loretta draped her arms around the back of his shoulder and leaned in.

"Granddad took me into town." Loretta softly.

Sam took a breath and continued, "A mob descended. They burnt the place down." He took another breath, "They dragged my wife and Gray out and beat them viciously, punched, kicked, machete."

Sam continued. "I'm told my wife died from the first blow." He took a breath. Loretta took her grandfather's hand and gave it a gentle squeeze. Regan listened in quiet bewilderment.

Loretta said softly as she took over from Sam. "We returned to the farm, we could see the house was on fire." Loretta gulped, and bit her lips as the memories surfaced. 

Sam said quietly, "He was unconscious when we found him." He gripped Loretta's hand, and continued, "And Gray hasn't spoken of that day. Not sure if he doesn't remember or is choosing not to remember. Either way, he was hurt. Bad. Really bad." Sam took a breath and whispered, "Gray, God only knows how he survived. He has scars, on the inside and out."

Loretta muttered,  "Gray was in hospital for months."  Still biting her lips, she said more loudly, "You would not recognised him. Honestly Regan, he had so many injuries. They were shocking. Iam so proud of him. The fact he survived his injuries. The fact he battled tolive. Every operation was difficult. The fact he beavered to regain his health. The doctors thought his recovery from eachoperation was incredulous. He was so determined. I am so proud of him."

Loretta looked over at her grandfather and they smiled.

"Yes, we are proud of him." Sam took over and continued with the story, "We got out as soon as we could, because we knew he would need grafts, we needed help and we were not safe there."

"That is why you are here." Regan said quietly.

"Yes. We could not leave with our assets. Not sure we had any real assets left, but what was left, the remainder of the farm, well, we had to leave it  all. We left what was left standing there. Couldn't sell."

" We used our savings for his treatment, and when he was well enough, we left." Loretta said.

"Oh."

Sam frowned and looked across at Regan, "I wish you knew him before. You would like him!" Sam was sure about that. There was so much that they shared, in terms of values and viewpoints. "But he's gone from being an easy-going man to being a withdrawn, loner, actually a cynic really." 

"And he hasn't been out with anyone since the attack." Loretta said..

"I'm sorry. I didn't know." Regan started to understand some of his behaviour.

Sam got to his feet, and came toward Regan. He took her by the shoulders and leaned in to kiss her cheek. "Thank you." And he followed that with a hug.

Puzzled Regan looked at Loretta while his grandfather pat her shoulders.

He smiled as he stepped back. "A belated hug."

"Oh, er. Right."

"Yes. A belated hug. You needed a hug when we talked about that young boy. And I forgot to give you a hug." Sam said ruefully. 

"Well, thank you for the belated hug." Regan smiled.

Sam smiled again, "And Lore told me what you said to Gray. Thank you for doing that."

"As I said, I just told him the truth. Great choice and colour, Lore! Love the combination." Regan uttered. "What he wore suited him. He looked great."

He smiled again. "I am sure he was. But he hasn't exactly been friendly toward you, has he?" And that had puzzled Sam, for though Gray had become more aloof, he had never been offensive or rude. He had simply withdrawn into himself. But with Regan, Gray was different. He seemed to find things to complain about her, as if he was looking for things to dislike.

Regan shrugged. "As I said, I just told him the truth. He is fit! Like his grandfather!" She beamed at Sam. "I guess doing work on the farm, helps!" She chuckled, "In any case, he'll have a lovely evening with Caro." And as she said the words she added silently, and I wish it was me. Her lower lip trembled. "I am sure he will have a great date." She bit her lower lip to stop the tremble. She smiled softly, "So, erh, do you know where they are going?"

"I forgot to ask him!" Sam said at the same time

"Not sure." Loretta said. She was sure that Caro told her, but Loretta forgot.

Regan smiled, albeit it was pasted on. "Well, it doesn't matter. I bet they have a great time."

"Yes. True." Loretta agreed.

"Anyway, I need to go. I am already late!"

Sam frowned.

"Sorry about that." Loretta glanced at her watch.

Regan said firmly, "Not your fault!" Honestly, I stalled for ages in my bedroom, and I was thinking of staying in bed!" In fact she wanted an excuse to stay at home. Just a pity that there was no emergency at home. "Anyway, got to go."

"Take care, Regan." Sam said. He was definitely going to talk to his grandson. From his position, Regan had a lot more to offer than Gray's new girl friend!

"Thanks" Regan nodded. "You too. Have a lovely evening. Bye."

"Bye." Loretta and Sam chorused.