Chapter Forty One ~ Give Up On You

Songs; Big Eyes - Lana Del Rey [Holy fuckig shit my queen slayed again]

I Can Fly - Lana Del Rey

The Ablex shippers are going to be happy again.

*Late present to all the people who still read this. Happy New Years! I think it's almost going to be one year since I started working on this story. That's crazy. Maybe if it didn't take me 2 fucking months to update, we'd be further in. :)))))) ~Mae

The driveway of Alex's house was definitely a familiar sight. In an odd, explainable way, the driveway gave Abella a strange sense of comfort. She held no specific memories on the pavement, but it was like the trail that led into a house which did hold dozens of wonderful moments. She couldn't really explain what brought her to drive all the way to Alex's house at midnight. She couldn't even explain why she suddenly had the strong urge to see him again.

All she could really say was that she hoped Alex was still awake.

It wouldn't be a surprise if he was, but then again; it wouldn't be a surprise if he wasn't home at all.

For the past few days, everyone seemed to have been avoiding Abella completely. She had no idea why everyone seemed to suddenly distance themselves from her, but she wasn't going to wait any longer for answers. Abella had tried to get them out of Jack earlier that day, but he had completely avoided the topic and left without giving her much of an explanation. Even Alex, who always seemed a bit eager to answer texts, was now completely silent.

This odd behavior stirred a twisting sensation in the pit of her stomach.

Abella parked her car and got out with a quiet sigh. She made sure to close the door quietly, hoping that Alex wouldn't hear her. For some reason, she didn't want him to know of her presence. Not until she showed it, anyways. Her gut warned her that if Alex knew she was the one ringing his doorbell at one in the morning, the chances of him actually answering would slim down significantly.

Abella waited a few minutes outside in the cold. She had a jumper on, the knitted material suddenly felt like heaven against her skin. She felt glad that she had chosen to wear a scarf too. Alex seemed to be taking a thousand years before he finally answered.

"Hey," he stared at Abella with narrowed eyes, glossed and rimmed with red. His scent reeked of marijuana mixed together with cologne and dirty laundry. He didn't exactly look like a wreck, but he didn't exactly radiate sex appeal either.

Abella wasn't too surprised that he was getting high at midnight. Alex was the type of person who smoked weed a few times each week. He'd never truly tried to quit, and Abella never thought of asking him to. She wondered if she had asked him to quit to months ago, whether he would have. Now, she was almost certain his answer would be 'no'.

"Can I come in?" She asked hesitantly.

High Alex usually meant he behaved in three different manners; Incredibly relaxed, incredibly happy, or incredibly moody. At the moment, he looked relaxed, but Abella wondered whether this would remain the same throughout the night. She could only hope.

Alex stared at Abella for a few seconds. His eyes never once left her face, and Abella didn't know how to feel about this. Her hands felt clammy and each second that ticked by seemed to drag on for ages. The silence was so deafening that it was beginning to feel painful. Abella didn't like this one bit.

With a nod that was barely noticeable, Alex stepped aside and motioned (a bit too dramatically) for Abella to come in. A smile had spread across his lips and he seemed to radiate happiness. Abella really couldn't understand him when he was under the influence of marijuana. He was one of the most confusing men she had ever met in her entire life. Jeffrey Grace coming in and taking second place.