Chapter Fifteen ~ Tainted Innocence

So I wanted to try something new and write in a third person pov. Here it goes; 

Btw guys whenever you see '***' it means that the pov has changed. It's still in 3rd person, but the pov changed. Make sense? Probably not. Haha.

Song: Basket Case - Green Day 

&&& 

Abella sat at the desk in her home office, a grim look on her face. The anticipation and anxiety she felt was absolutely unreal. Losing her part time job at the bookstore would mean she'd have less money to spend each week. She could find another job, but with the way things were, not many people were looking for a nineteen year old girl with little experience in just about any line of work.

Already, things were growing hectic with the amount of bills she had paid. There was the water bill, the electric bill, the cable bill, the phone bill, and many other required payments. Not to mention, she had set aside money for school. Not only would she be in need of books and supplies, but Myra as well. The stress was beginning to reach a line that she really didn't want to cross.  

Abella knew she could dial her grandmother's number and ask for money, but she also knew that this was not a good idea. She would never hear the end of it from her aunt, Valeria, and with her grandmother already sick, money was tight in London. She was on her own, she knew this, but she wasn't prepared any of it.

Sighing heavily, Abella buried her face into her hands. Her younger sister was in her bedroom, sleeping peacefully as she was completely unaware of the stress her sister was facing. I need a distraction, Abella thought, but she couldn't figure out what to use for that purpose. Her love for English literature was endless, but she knew that reading would only make her want to write. The fact that she couldn't create a subtle name for her story only angered the young woman.  

A sudden thought crept into Abella's mind. Images of a tattooed man with dark eyes and a cold demeanor flooded her thoughts. She thought of calling him, but what good would that bring? Every time the two were presented in the same room, the result was dreadful. They either fought, or did something that would lead to a fight. Nothing good came from them seeing each other, Abella knew this, but she didn't care. 

She ignored the warning voice in her head and picked up her phone. Her teeth sank into her lower lip as she dialed his number, something which she had obtained from Jack. She didn't know why she had asked for Alex's number, but Jack didn't seem fazed by her request. He simply grabbed her phone and put in his best friend's number into her contact list.  

Abella's grip on her white phone tightened as the line rang. The noise only continued for a few seconds before his voice finally broke into the speaker. "Hello?" His cold tone sent chills down her spine. He sounded exhausted, despite the time being noon. Even though she couldn't see him, she pictured him with bloodshot eyes and an empty bottle of alcohol on the floor. "Who is this?" He asked.  

Abella swallowed the lump in her throat. "It's me," she quietly said, "Abella." The line went silent, her chest tight with every second that ticked by. She didn't know why she was so drawn to the rude boy. His attitude turned her away, but at the same time, enticed her. Even before they shared their first kiss in Alex's bedroom, Abella was desperate to understand what had happened to the broken boy. Little did she know that one event in his life would make him misbehave for the rest of his days.  

***  

Alex shifted on his bed and sat at the end of the mattress. The sound of her voice instantly jolted him awake. He ignored the throbbing pain in his skull, fighting the smile that threatened to break out on his pink lips. "Hey," he said calmly, "What do you want?" His tone came out harsher than expected, but to Alex, it was normal. He was thrilled -but confused- by her sudden phone call.