Chapter Twenty ~ Ugly Emotions

Song; Slowly Freaking Out - Skylar Grey [Might as well be the "theme song" for this story]

Wrapped Around Your Finger - 5 Seconds of Summer

&&&

They sat at the table, laughing and talking for what seemed like hours. Abella felt surprised, often forgetting that the same man that sat before her was in fact Jeffrey Grace. By the way he carried himself and the way the people around him looked at the two in surprise, she quickly realized that his name carried a bit of weight in Baltimore.

"So, tell me, Abella, where do you see yourself by the end of next year?" Jeffrey asked her. The empty cups sat at the table, begging for the fifth refill of the day. Despite her deal to leave after having one cup, Abella found herself wanting to stay and chat with him. Behind the layers and layers and layers of arrogant jerk, Jeffrey wasn't all that bad. He seemed charming, and a bit sweet. But also very corny and horrid at telling a decent joke.

Abella leaned forward, tapping her fingertips against her chin. "Hmm..." She thought about his question for quite a bit. Obviously, she hoped to still be in school by the end of next year, but with the way things were going at home- all the bills and expenses that were starting to pile up, she began to doubt the possibility of going through college completely.

"Hopefully," Abella said after a few seconds of a short lived silence, "I'll still be in college."

"And you're doubting that you won't?" Jeffrey questioned. He leaned forward, his hands clasped together and his eyes narrowed slightly. He studied her, taking in her every feature. She was beautiful, but not necessarily his type. He searched for woman who looked more like Holly Madison or Scarlett Johanson- blondes.

But it's all about that one exception, right?

Hesitantly, Abella nodded, her fingers tapped against the table's surface. "Yes, because I realize that with everything going on at home, college isn't going to be a walk in the park. But I really want to finish it because I made a promise to someone. And I fully intend to keep that promise." She replied with a soft smile.

A tall brunette suddenly walked to their table, a name tag that read 'Leo' clipped to his blue shirt. "Excuse me," he spoke, his eyes lacking the enthusiasm and happiness that Jack held. "Is there anything else you two would like?" He asked in a monotone voice. It was clear that he didn't seem to take too fondly of his job.

"More coffee." Jeffrey replied, dismissing the brunette with a wave of his hand. He sighed, turning his attention back to Abella. "Being that I graduated from college two years ago, I'm going to let you in on a little secret; College sucks ass. Sure, the endless parties and limitless supply of drugs and alcohol were cool, but in the end, it's still hard. Just, don't ever give up. Don't chicken out halfway through and just keep looking forward to the end because then, it will all be worth it. When you walk across that stage and accept that diploma, you'll be like 'Holy shit, I finished college,'."

Just as he finished his short speech, Leo walked back to the table holding a glass coffee pot. He forced a smile as he began to fill the cup with freshly brewed coffee, but just as he did so, the pot slipped from his hold and shattered on the table.

Abella yelped, her stomach burned by the sensation of the hot coffee. "What the fuck?" Jeffrey shouted, quickly standing up from his seat. He hurried toward Abella, pressing a pile of napkins against her shirt. His head snapped in the waiter's direction, glaring at the shocked man. "You fucking idiot! Don't just stand there! Go get some fucking wipes!" He shouted. The entire coffee shop fell silent, everyone watching the scene with cautious eyes.