Chapter 28

Alek led me through the quiet streets of Greed City, his gaze darting around our surroundings. Everywhere I looked there was something new to behold, but there was one common occurrence – scammers. At most corners, persons dressed in shaggy attire leered at stragglers, trying to get them to buy their defective goods. Any passers-by looked so unfazed by their presence that they seemed to be more of an inconvenience than anything else. But every time I passed one, their wicked grins or unflinching gaze made me want to duck for cover. Alek weaved his sturdy hand into mine and pulled me onwards.

Slowly, dilapidated buildings turned into luxurious ones, making it clear we'd walked into the upper-class sector of the city. Enough time had passed to feel the beginning onset of blisters on my feet. I kept my mouth shut, not wanting to look any weaker than I already did, but breathed a sigh of relief when Alek pulled us to a stop in front of a gleaming set of red double doors.

The bright paint was a sharp juxtaposition from the three-storey building, built from bricks so dark I had no doubt it would camouflage into the night.

Alek grabbed the bags from Calista's saddle and then let go of her rein, turning his back and heading up the front steps. At the sign of freedom, Calista reared her head and turned from us, strutting down the street.

"Uhh, I hate to break it to you, but for someone who argued so strongly for Calista's rights, you're not exactly a good owner."

Alek scoffed. "Excuse me?"

I gestured towards Calista, who was now a solid fifty metres away. "You're letting Calista escape! Who knows where she'll end up."

Alek's body shook with laughter. "Calista knows how to take care of herself. She'll find us when we need her. Anyway, it's not like she can die."

He turned on his heels and continued up the stairs. I glanced over my shoulder and saw that Calista was now completely out of view. But, knowing Calista wouldn't spare me the same curtesy, I turned and followed Alek up onto the patio.

Alek held the door open for me, letting loose sounds of laughter and jeering. People dressed in formal attire gathered around tables scattered across the floor, playing some sort of card game with one another. Lights that transformed colours lit up the room and filled the ambience.

"Are we still in the Underworld?" I asked, more to myself than anyone else.

"That's what I wondered the first time I came here," Alek retorted, leaning in close. "Jackal kicks out any troublemakers. He's basically the only guy that runs security in Greed City. So, as long as we don't cause any trouble, we'll have a peaceful night ahead of us."

Alek gently steered me through the room with his hand on my lower back, towards the main bar opposite the entrance. A bunch of rowdy middle-aged men and women sat atop the bar stools and encompassed the entire bar, shouting orders to the flustered bartenders. Some of the guests were leaning over the bench, waving to get their attention. 

"I hope you don't want a drink, because it looks like it might take a while," Alek murmured into my ear, his cheek grazing my skin. I stilled.

"I'm underage," I replied automatically.

Alek laughed again, his torso shaking up and down. When I realised exactly how stupid that must have sounded in the Underworld, I couldn't help but join in. Our laughter filled the chorus of the room, and I could almost forget where I was. Everyone in here was acting so...normal.

It was interesting how the norm had become my unusual.

"Come on, let's go find Jackal," he said with a smile.