Chapter 16

It took me at least ten minutes of lowering myself down the ladder to get to the base of the mine. My left arm and wrist were screaming in pain from the cut and sprain, so I had to take frequent breaks and rely more so on the strength in my legs and right arm.

Although we were so deeply situated underground, I was relieved when my feet finally landed on flooring. At least, no matter what world I was in, the ground itself was predictable and something I could always rely upon.

I was completely overwhelmed by the oppressively monstrous size of the cave. There was only one pathway available from the starting point, and the chinking of metal tools against the cave's walls as people mined for gold was significantly louder from down here. My arm stung in reminder of my injury, so I clutched it with my free hand to stem the blood flow. At once it was stained and bloody, but I doubted anyone in The Underworld would come running forward with a first aid kit in hand.

My male captor jumped down beside me and forced me onwards. Although there were lit torches lining the cavern, I had to be extremely careful to not slip on the jagged and rocky terrain.

As we walked, random tunnels began to branch off from the main one, forming what I imagined to be a large series of web-like pathways weaving in and out of one another. My captor forced us down one of these turns away from the main cavern.

If he wasn't leading me to the main excavation area, he must have been taking me to his 'boss' to receive his measly bonus. My muscles tightened at the realisation that he could be taking me to the Sloth General Marnix. Raven had warned me about him and I had no doubt he was ruthless, unforgiving and someone I most definitely wanted to avoid. We walked through so many twists and turns that I completely lost my orientation and forgot where the entrance was. I briefly thought that this had to be a part of the general's plan; to make sure that no one who worked down here would be able to find their way back up.

A tall, lean man stood at the end of our tunnel, at what looked to be the entrance of a private room. As we approached, he stood in the centre of the archway, blocking our entrance.

"What's your purpose for being here?" his voice bounced off the walls.

"I've come to collect for my delivery," my captor said, pushing me forwards and making me stumble. "Usual rounds."

The guard looked at me closely, his eyes resting on the blood seeping down my arm and hand. "Marnix isn't in today, and you've brought her with an injury – that's against protocol."

Eyeliner dude snickered. "It's just a little scratch – and anyway, you and I both know that you can handle Marnix's finances."

I scowled. 'Little scratch' my ass.

The guard grumbled something incoherent, then disappeared into the room. Now that my captor had completed his job, he stood as far away from me as possible. When I stared at him, hoping my glare would burn a hole through his head, he simply ignored me. I was just another one of his simple transactions, a material means to get him by.

The guard returned from the room with a small black pouch – not dissimilar to the one I'd seen Artemis give Alek – and handed it to him. He opened it up, a greedy look on his face, and started to count the coins. When he finished, he pinned an angered look on the guard.

"This isn't enough."

The guard crossed his arms, having expected him to say that. "It's that or nothing. Take it or leave it."

My captor growled in annoyance and looked like he was about to throw a punch but restrained himself at the last minute. In a display of pettiness, he turned on his feet and stormed away, making enough noise as the caverns permitted and leaving me in awkward silence with the guard.