Chapter Fifty-Five: The Enemy

General Alexander stood with an expression I had never seen before, turning the man who I had known for many years into a complete stranger. His eyes narrowed as he looked at me with curiosity, a disturbing smile playing on his lips. 

"Well I didn't expect that to happen." He laughed, his voice hollow. 

"Why the hell are you here," I spat, anger surging through my chest. Alexander was Philip's role model and father figure. He was the man who had raised Philip in the absence of his father, so why was the general standing in front of me right now? Why was he doing something like this?

"Why must a beautiful and talented girl like you ask so many questions. If you hadn't worked so hard to get in the way, then I may have considered sparing you. I wouldn't have minded having someone as powerful as you to be my Queen." He sneered, his eyes darkening as he stalked towards me. He bent down so that his face was only inches away from mine, giving me a perfect view of his hollowed out eyes. 

"But you had to be just like her didn't you? I guess you'll have to meet the same end as her now, except this time, I'll be sure to finish the job."

"Wha-" Before I could finish my sentence Alexander shot his hand forward and gripped my throat. I struggled to breath as he cut off my air, his eyes shinning with malice and bloodlust. 

"What did I say about asking questions?" He snarled, his grip tightening. I struggled against his hand, but I was too weak. The wound I had received from the dagger made out of Cynth ore was getting worse, taking away all of the strength I had left. I was dying. 

"Your Highness!" A man called, running into the room. I couldn't see him, but his voice was panicked. Something was happening. 

"Later," Alexander said, ignoring the man. 

"Bu- but the magical beasts. They're going crazy-"

Alexander released me, causing my body to fall to the ground. 

"Don't let any of them escape, I still need them." He shouted before marching out of the room. I had been saved... for now. 

"What do we do with her?" One of the guards asked. 

"Take her to the cell and make sure you get the beasts under control. Do not anger his highness or we will all be dead." Lytton responded his voice full of fear.

"Yes sir," The guards responded before lifting me off the ground. 

I struggled to keep my self conscious, focusing on the stabbing pain that ran through my body. If I passed out now, I may never wake up again. 

The guards tossed my limp body into the cell before rushing to control the new magical beasts that had just arrived a few days ago. These beasts were stronger than the last ones so they were harder to control. Even if their rebellion had nothing to do with me, I was still thankful. 

A familiar warmth surrounded my body, giving me enough strength to crawl over to the edge of the cell so that I could rest against the Pheonix's feathers. For some reason, I felt that if I was beside it, I would be able to make it out of here. 

However, no matter how strong my willpower, it wasn't enough to stop the death mana from seeping into me. Even though the dagger had been removed, the guards had forgotten to take off my chain made out of Cynth ore. Judging by the amount of life mana being sucked from my body, even if Alexander planned on killing me, the guard's mistake would end up taking my life first. 

I pressed my body against the Pheonix's feathers, my ability to feel slowly disappearing. I clung on to the warmth of it's mana, using it as an anchor to keep me conscious. No matter what, I had to stay alive. I had to get out of here. I had to warn Philip.