Chapter Twelve: The Ball

Prince Philip and I were the last guests to enter the ball room, and the minute we stepped into view, all eyes were on us. I mean, it's not a surprise since it was literally my debut ball... but still... it was terrifying. My family stood at the center of the room, waiting as Prince Philip and I walked down the isle. However, instead of looking at their daughter with pride, both my parents and Caden looked as if they were bracing for disaster to strike.

"Callista, smile." Prince Philip whispered into my ear. Shit, I already fucked up.

Happy thoughts, happy thoughts... An image of the chickens I convinced my parents to adopt popped into my head. I felt my lips curve upward as I remembered the chaos that ensued after I let the flightless birds run rampant inside of the mansion. Needless to say, we got rid of the chickens.

The Crown Prince and I made it to the center of the ball room where the first dance would take place. My smile faltered as the nerves began to creep back, my stomach preforming a small gymnastics routine.

"Lady Callista," Prince Philip said with a bow.

"May I have the first dance?"

I couldn't say no, since this was pretty much planned.

"It would be an honor your highness." I replied with a small curtsy. Kill me already.

The Prince flashed one of his award winning smiles before placing one hand on my waist, and the taking my right hand with the other. My body stiffened as we began to dance.

Don't trip, don't step on his toes, don't turn the wr-

"Callista, you have saved both me and the kingdom before your own debut ball. Have a little more faith in yourself and relax." The prince whispered with a soft smile.

"I-I'll try."

I can't say that I was the best dancer, but I did well enough for a noble lady thanks to the prince. Though I didn't like the idea of letting the boy take the lead that easily, I was still grateful.

"Surprisingly, you did well," Caden teased. He was the second to dance with me after the rest of the guests joined in on the dancing.

"Unsurprisingly, you're still a jerk."

"Well I am related to you."

"Sadly," I retorted, unable to hold back a grin.

Once the music ended, I left to take a breather and made my way to the side of the room. Eyes trailed me as I made waded through the sea of nobles, and though I felt sick, I made sure to give out polite smiles as I passed. I couldn't figure out how the past me was ever able to enjoy this much attention.

"Already tired?"

I looked to see Charles walking towards me with two glasses of sparkling water in his hands.

"Take this," he offered with a smile.

"These types of events tire me out too."

"Really?" I asked, perplexed. Charles had always come across as the perfect example of a proper noble.

"Is it that much of a surprise?" He chuckled.

"The truth is, I've never been one to enjoy crowds." Charles admitted. Though I hadn't really thought about it before, Charles did seem to keep people at arms length. Caden was probably Charles' closest friend, and even he had admitted that he felt there was a wall between them.

"Well, I'm sure we aren't the only ones. I wouldn't be surprised if at least half the people here only came out of obligation." I said, glancing at the many guests who were attending my ball. I barely knew any of them. My eyes caught the sight of a red headed boy surrounded by many young noble girls.