Chapter Fifty-Six: Could've Been Different

~But don't think I don't think about itDon't think I don't have regretsDon't think it don't get to me~Don't Think I Don't Think About It - Darius Rucker

Don't think I don't have regrets
Don't think it don't get to me~
Don't Think I Don't Think About It - Darius Rucker

~3rd Person POV~

"According to this map," Nathan yells out above the gunfire and screaming men. "Jesus' blood is somewhere over there!" He motions over the trench they've found themselves in.

"The spear is sensing the blood!" Sara tells the legends surrounding her as the spear begins to dimly glow.

"We won't last five minutes out there," Amaya says as she looks over the ledge. "It's not too late to use it." She turns to Sara. Jessica growls quietly to herself, knowing they can't hear it over the sounds of war. Suddenly, a man next to her is shot down.

"Loser," Mick growls before taking his place and firing away. Jessica stares wide eyed at the man dead at her feet. She's seen dead people before, but there was savagery to this that she'd never experienced before. She walks closer to Sara and grabs her arm.

"What's wrong?" Sara asks, looking toward where Jessica's eyes are staring. She sees the man bleeding out and dead in the dirt. "Hey, you'll be okay." Sara sees that she's not getting Jessica to turn her attention. "Hey, look at me." Jessica's head snaps over to Sara. "You'll be fine."

Sara can see the fear and surprise in Jessica's eyes. She knows how brutal it is out here, but as an assassin, she's grown used to the violence.

"Mick, come on." Nathan pulls Mick away from the gun he'd taken charge of.

"It seems neither side wants to give up the fight," Professor Stein tells the ground team

"We don't have time," Sara gripes. "Not with the Legion on our tails. We have to push forward."

"Advance, soldiers!" A commanding officer yells over the gunfire. "Up the ladders, over the top, let's go!"

"The British are advancing," Nate tells his teammates. "Now's our best chance to move."

"It's all on us now." Sara gets everyone's attention. "Watch each others' backs, and we'll make it to the ship alive. Understood?"

One by one, the legends climb the nearby ladder and run straight into the middle of the vicious battle. Once Jessica gets to the top, she takes her raptor form and dashes out to catch up with Sara. Soldiers come from left and right trying to fight against the legends but they're no match for superpowers and a panicked utahraptor.

"We're getting closer!" Sara announces as the spear begins to glow brighter.

"What is it with me and Nazis?" Mick growls as he fires his heat gun in a circle, keeping away any soldier wanting to attack him.

"Wrong World War, Mick! These are Huns, not Nazis!" Nate explains.

"I don't care what you wanna call them, just take them out, now!" Sara gripes.