Chapter Forty-Seven: Third Wheeling

~Oh, this is how it startsLightning strikes the heartIt goes off like a gunBrighter than the sun~Brighter Than the Sun - Colbert Caillat

Lightning strikes the heart
It goes off like a gun
Brighter than the sun~
Brighter Than the Sun - Colbert Caillat

~3rd Person POV~

"Dr. Palmer, Captain Lance is requesting your presence in the bridge," Gideon announces.

"You gonna come with me?" Ray asks Jessica, knowing Rip will be there too. She looks into his eyes as she thinks, and answers by turning her hand over, still under his, and taking hold. Ray smiles as they get off the mattress and walk hand in hand back to the Legends.

"Hey," Sara greets them and Jessica watches as Rip stands slightly behind Sara with his head hanging low.

"What's up?" Ray asks Sara, standing over the computers.

"I need you to hang around here and make sure nothing goes wrong. You and F.I.R.E.S.T.O.R.M. are our backup," Sara explains.

"Got it," Ray smiles. "You and I get to sit and watch!" He tells Jessica.

"Yes, I'll be going with them to find Commander Heywood," Rip adds. Jessica glares at him while she moves closer to Ray for comfort and he squeezes her hand lightly to let her know she's safe.

"Alright, then." Ray turns to Jessica. "Wanna watch another Jurassic Park?" She turns to him excitedly.

"Yes!" She happily walks towards the office and Gideon begins the movie for her.

"I'll see you guys when you get back!" Ray waves to the ground team before joining Jessica. As soon as he sits next to her, she lets herself fall onto his shoulder and his arm snakes around behind her to pull her close. Sara looks for a moment before her and Rip leave the room.

"Being around them is like third wheeling," she tells Rip with a laugh.

"Yes, I suppose you're right," he tells her with regret laced into his voice.

"Look, you won't get back what you had," Sara says seriously.

"I know," Rip answers. "She's more connected to him than she ever was with me. It may not even be worth trying to regain her trust."

"You can't talk like that," Sara sighs. The conversation is headed the way she hoped it wouldn't. "She's usually open. If Ray trusts you, then she will try." She didn't mean to, but Sara's words hurt Rip more than helped.

***

Jessica is breathing steadily, still leaned against Ray's shoulder as she sleeps. His arm never leaves her body as he continues to watch the movie without her. He knows she'll just get him to start it over next time they get a chance to watch. Her arm suddenly snakes around his body and squeezes lightly, holding him still as her pillow.