Chapter Ten: Ashley?

~This is why we can't have nice things darling, because you break them~This is why we Can't Have Nice Things - Taylor Swift

This is why we Can't Have Nice Things - Taylor Swift

~3rd Person POV~

Jessica groans as she opens her eyes and takes in her surroundings. She's in the med bay placed uncomfortably on the table as the Legend's attempt to help heal her. She lifts her head and looks around to see Nate sleeping on the other berth.

Jessica pulls herself off the table and lands on the metal floor with a clang. She wheezes slightly before stumbling to her feet and looking over Nathan's sleeping form. Brightly colored bruises litter his body and several scabs are forming over cuts and scratches.

Jessica lets out a breath before wobbling over to the door and pressing her head against it for balance. The doors suddenly slide open causing Jessica to come crashing down on top of Ray who's just coming in to check on her.

They both grunt as they hit the floor and take a moment to assess the situation.

"Ashley?" Ray asks. "You shouldn't be up!" Jessica pushes herself off of Ray so he can get up. She shuffles to her feet and limps off toward Ray's quarters where she knows nobody will bother her.

"Ashley, come on," Ray sighs as he follows her closely. When they finally enter his quarters, Jessica leans against the wall and slides down to the floor where she plans to sleep until everyone else is asleep too.

Ray joins her on the floor and lifts her head into his lap and they stay like this for quite a while. He carefully studies the scaled creature before him, taking in every perfection, and every flaw.

There are small scars on her face from hunts with her pack but those are nothing compared to the healed wounds on her neck and shoulders. They were from Benji and his need to show the power he held over her when in reality, there wasn't any.

Ray gently traces over the claw marks and feels the smoothness they hold compared to the rest of her body. He notices a fairly new scar on her torso from the day she was thrown, quite literally, into his life and he smiles slightly at the memory.

He wonders what was so different about her, like why she fended off her own pack members to keep him alive. Surely they should have come first, Ray had only known her for maybe a month or so at the time and she had known them for years.

Not to mention she had outsmarted the smartest of her species which only raises more questions in Raymond's scientific mind. He was taught to ask questions and he almost kicks himself for not asking these ones sooner. She followed Sara's instructions almost exactly and she never needed a second explanation.