Chapter Forty: The Whole Family

~There was a time when I was aloneNowhere to go and no place to call home

Nowhere to go and no place to call home
...
Then one night, as I closed my eyes
I saw a shadow flying high
He came to me with the sweetest smile
Told me he wanted to talk for a while
He said, "Peter Pan, that's what they call me
I promise that you'll never be lonely"~
Lost Boy - Ruth B

~3rd Person POV~

"Don't move!" Jax yells and aims his gun at Rip.

"Has Jessica woken up? Did she let you go?" Rip asks.

"She passed out 'cause you didn't help her," Jax answers angrily. Rip only laughs.

"You're the one who shot her! Look, you haven't got it in you." Rip turns and faces Jax.

"You didn't have to kill her. Sara wasn't supposed to die, not like that, not by you."

"There's no rhyme nor reason to any of this, Jax. History is war and slavery and holding your dead son in your arms. There's no point in protecting history, so we might as well just burn it all down.

"I haven't got all day for this. If you're gonna shoot me, then, please, get on with it. I will make it easier for you." Rip stands with his arms out and his eyes closed, ready for the bullet. "No? Well, it's just as I thought. You're weak. Just like your old Captain." Jax pulls the gun's hammer back.

"Don't!"

"Sara?" Jax looks back at her wrapped in a dark grey blanket. "What?" Jax looks back to Rip to make sure he doesn't escape.

"Gideon and Stein saved me. It looks like Rip put together a pretty good team," she tells Jax with a smile. "Will you put the gun down, Jax?"

"No!" Jax answers quickly.

"I think you should listen to your friend."

"Shut up!" Jax snaps at Rip. "He's with the Legion now," he tells Sara. "The Rip we know is gone."

"You know what day it is, Jax?" Sara asks. "It's December 25th. It's Christmas. It's when we remember to be our best selves."

"Why are you protecting him?" Jax asks, upset that she'd still protect the man who killed her.

"I'm not protecting him," she answers. "I'm protecting you."

"Gah!" Jax lets his arm fall.

"Speaking of Christmas miracles, the British are coming." Rip turns and walks away as Jax and Sara turn to go back to the Waverider.

"Gideon locked Jessica in the med bay in case she wakes up and is still under Rip's control," Sara tells Jax what the situation on the Waverider is.

"Is she gonna be okay?" Jax asks.

"I think so. She's strong." Sara looks to the beautiful snow forest surrounding them. "But I don't know what she'll do when she finds out she turned on us."