Chapter 27: The Explosion

In the face of possible death, all arguments were considered invalid. Differences were unimportant if lives were on the line, both you and Chris knew this. You held onto his hand for dear life, desperate for any comfort you could get. He squeezed your hand back just as much.

The Wendigos attacked each other and you watched in horrified fascination. You struggled not to tremble, knowing that the slightest movement could get both you and Chris killed. The Wendigos were distracted and you were not about to waste the chance you were given. You lightly nudged Chris to get his attention.

When his eyes flickered to yours, you looked pointedly at the door. He followed your gaze and shifted his hand slightly. He didn't let go, so you did. You both couldn't get out together, not at that moment. You needed Chris to get out. It seemed likely the clearest way to tell him that the bad blood between you was gone. And you couldn't just leave him for dead.

He reached for your hand again but you shuffled away from him slightly, shaking you head as subtly as you could. He threw you one more desperate look before backing towards the door slowly then running out. You could breathe a bit easier knowing he was safe. You focused on the Wendigo showdown once more.

One Wendigo clearly came out victorious, ripping the other's head off. A marking on the victorious Wendigo caught your eye. A butterfly tattoo. Hannah. You closed your eyes in resignation. You knew her fate already, but seeing it for yourself made it so much worse.

Glass shattered, startling you from your thoughts. When you opened your eyes, your trio was left alone with the Wendigos. It was just you, Sam, and Mike. The others had gotten out. 

Hannah was making her way towards Mike. He had broken a lightbulb and alerted Hannah. Sam was trying to make eye contact with you. You met her eyes and watched as she gestured to the gas leak the Wendigos must have caused during their brawl.

Oh.

You nodded to let her know you understood. You were right in front of the door. You could get out right now, but you couldn't just leave them to fend for themselves. You could get Hannah's attention then run out but that might lead her to the others. You took a deep breath.

"Hey!" You shouted at Hannah. Her attention snapped to you. You held your breath as she came closer. You bit the inside of you mouth as she stood directly in front of you. You focused on Mike for a moment instead. He was injured. You both needed to get Mike out next. You looked at Sam, desperately trying to get her to understand.

A call from her direction let you know that you had succeeded. The Wendigo was trying to find her now. You signaled Mike to run out the door. You needed to get Sam out. It would be harder for her to make a run for it in the end. It would be easier for you to get out now but Sam would struggle later if you did.

You sprinted behind a wooden pillar and hid. Hannah started moving in your direction once more. You tried not to flinch as she shrieked right next to your face. The creaking of wooden planks caught Hannah's attention. It sounded closer. Sam was almost out.

Hannah was halfway to Sam when you made noise again. This was it. Sam could get out if she went now. You closed your eyes and hoped for the best. A soft rush of footsteps. She was out.

Hannah moved slowly towards the direction of the noise. A loud crash broke the silence. The Wendigos from downstairs had gotten in. Everything could end for you right here. You had one chance to either live or survive.

Hannah frantically climbed towards the ruckus and you took your opportunity. You bolted for the door. You fought down a squeak as you head the horde clamber after you. You moved your legs as fast as you can. A sharp pain flared in your arm but you kept moving. You reached out towards the light switch and flicked it before you were out the door.

You barely took two steps out the door before the explosion knocked you the rest of the way. You landed in the freezing snow. You patted your body as if you couldn't believe you were actually there.

Holy shit, you thought, I did it!