Thirteen

"Flight 376 boarding in three minutes," the woman's voice echoed throughout the bustling airport. Sam stood up knowing it was his flight and I could feel my heart sink in my chest. "Flight 376 to Omaha boarding in three minutes."

"Well, that's me," he said sadly. I frowned and he pulled me into a hug and held me tightly. As our minutes together dwindled it grew harder and harder to fight back tears that were slowly breaking their way to surface. "I love you."

"I wish you didn't have to go," my voice cracked and within seconds my eyes were flooded with tears. I gasped for air and he held me tighter. "What am I going to do without you?"

"Shh, baby, don't cry," he cooed. "I'll call every night just like before, and we'll text all of the time. We can even Skype, and you know I'm here for you all of the time." He whispered softly in my ear slowly beginning to calm me down. He rubbed my back and rocked us slightly from side to side. "I love you."

"I love you, too," I said through whimpering.

"Hey," he had me face him and he wiped cold tears from my cheeks. "Remember we have a plan, and I know you're going to do great. I'm coming back for you and Raina, and I'm going to give you guys everything you ever deserved. I'm in love with you, and I'm going to do everything. This is all small stuff, don't sweat it. All you need to focus on is Rai and school."

"Okay," I sniffled. He poked causing me to smile a little. He let out a soft chuckle and pulled me in for another warm embrace.

"Flight 376 is now boarding," the woman's voice echoed again.

"You better get going," I said wiping my eyes. I gestured towards the tunnel and he nodded. "Call me when you land."

"I will as soon as I land," he kissed my forehead. "Promise to give Rai a goodnight kiss for me every night, okay?"

"Okay," I smiled. We stood there quietly for a minute and a few tears managed to sneak out once more.

"Bye, baby-girl," he brushed hair out of my face. "I love you."

"I love you, too," I said right before he pressed his lips to mine. I stood there as he walked away and felt my knees grow weak. He waved once more before disappearing down the tunnel and I slowly walked out of the airport and out to my car. I sat in my car and looked at my phone that still had the picture of Sam and Raina together. A few tears cascaded down my cheeks and coated the screen of my phone making the photo less visible by the second. I sniffled a couple more times and finally stuck the keys in the ignition. I needed to savor the sadness and emptiness and use it to my advantage. The thin skin underneath my eyes was swollen and my face was slightly flushed. I turned down the radio from where Sam and I were listening to it and drove home. I looked at the time and saw that it was 5:30 which was the time that I told Alex to come over for dinner. I smirked to myself when I saw his SUV in the parking lot, and I parked my car vertical to it. I quickly changed my phone wallpaper to a plain picture of Raina and tried to rid of any evidence that Sam and I were still together on my phone. Once I felt like I was in the clear I stuffed it into my pocket and slowly trudged up the stairs to my apartment. I opened the door and saw Alex sitting with Raina on the couch and he was talking to Melody. Their attention turned to me as I walked in and Melody had a questioning look on her face.

"Hey is everything okay?" She asked concerned. It was an incredible bitch move to pretend about my feelings. I shook my head slightly and sat down on the far end of the couch. "What happened while you were at the airport?"

"W-we broke up," I said bursting into more tears.

"What? Why?" She asked.

"I don't know, it was so sudden. He just said that I wasn't what he was looking for. He said he wanted a girl with more to offer, and he didn't agree with the decisions I was making."