Six

I dialed the number and my hands shook rapidly. I stood by the window and traced my fingers along the window nervously. "Hey," the voice on the other end picked up.

"Hi," I said softly. Alex waited a couple seconds before saying anything and I felt my breath shortening with each millisecond that passed.

"I'm glad you called me," he said finally. 

"What do you need?" I asked simply. I was trying to sound confident, I didn't want him to sense the growing fear I had inside of me.

"I want to see her," he sighed. My eyes grew wide and I shook my head in disbelief. "I want to see Raina."

"Where is all of this coming from? You haven't wanted a thing to do with her since I found out that I was having her in the first place..." 

"Seeing you and her today made me realize on how much I've missed out and how big of a mistake I made. I have a right to see my daughter." Daughter. I could have vomitted from those words.  

"Hey, babe, come here you have to see this," Sam said as he walked into my room. I turned around and could see him smiling from the light being given off from the outside streetlamps.

"Who was that?" Alex asked with an agitated tone.

"I just, I really don't want to talk about this right now alright? It's getting late, we can talk about it tomorrow," I said and hung up the phone. I walked over to Sam and he narrowed his eyes and looked at me. I sighed and walked past him and into Raina's room. I looked down at her sleeping body and smiled when I saw how she was positioned—her mouth was hanging wide open, her arms were spread wide apart and one leg was up higher than the other. I felt a hand on my back. "She becomes interesting more and more each day," I whispered. 

We walked back into my room and I sat down on the bed and Sam laid beside me. "You seem worried. Talk to me," he pulled me close to him and I frowned. "Baylor..."

"Alex asked me to call him," I said finally. I heaved a heavy sigh and he didn't say anything. I looked up and his jaw was clenched. "He said he wants to see Raina, but I don't have a good feeling about it. He said he has a right to see her, but he's never cared. He only wants to see her because he saw you with her."

"He's just jealous," he said finally. "He knows that you're with me now," he ran his fingers through my hair. 

"Good night," I said scooting over to my pillow. I kissed his cheek softly.

"Good night."

~

"Let's go to the park," Sam suggested. I looked at him. "It could be fun." I smiled and finished putting Raina's last shoe on. He was standing behind me and of course she couldn't take her eyes off of him. "We can walk around, feed a duck or something. She'll love it."

"Sam, she's three months old. I don't think she knows what a duck is," I grinned and shook my head.

"Well there is that old saying 'you learn something new everyday,' so today can she learn what they are," he shrugged as I looked up at him. I nodded and he picked her up. I stood up and walked into the bathroom and paced around anxiously. Alex had texted me when I woke up this morning and asked me to call him again. There was a nervous feeling in the pit of my stomach. What if he tried to hurt her? I sighed and with shaking fingers I pulled my phone out of my pocket. I dialed his number and sat down in the middle of the floor and put my knees up to my chest.

"Hey," he said picking up.

"Hi," my voice cracked.

"So like we were talking about last night, I want to see her, Baylor. She's my kid too..." I trembled from those words. His voice sounded so violent, and the fake confidence I had last night was all gone. I was a shaking mess.