⋞ᴄʜᴀᴘᴛᴇʀ 8: ᴛʜᴇ ꜱᴀᴄʀɪꜰɪᴄᴇ ᴏꜰ ʙᴀɴᴜ ʜᴀꜱʜɪᴍ≽

Martyrdom of Banu Hashim

Banu Hashim was the tribe and family of Imam (a). After the companions of the Imam were martyred, it was time for the tribe of Banu Hashim to sacrifice themselves before Allah.

            »»————-  ————-««

1. The brothers of Abass' Ibn Abi Talib

Based on historical evidence, the companions of Imam Husayn were martyred before the members of his family. Most historical works on the slaughterhouse mentioned the Imam's eldest son, 'Ali al-Akbar, to be the first one from Imam's family - the Banu Hashim - who went to the battlefield.

Ibn Nama', however, refers to the martyrdom of the brothers of 'Abbas before that of 'Ali al-Akbar. According to him, 'Abbas told his brothers, "Go to the battlefield so that I may see your sincerity in the way of Allah and His Apostle as you have no child." They gladly responded and became martyred.

            »»————-  ————-««

2. Ali Akbar bin Hussain (a)

The eighteen-year-old Ali Akbar (a) was raised by his aunt Zainab (sa). When Ali Akbar(a) was born; Lady Zainab bonded with him very quickly as he reminded her of her grandfather, Prophet Muhammad (PBUH). It seemed like the Prophet (PBUH) was reliving the world in Layla's lap instead of Amina.

When Lady Zainab asked Lady Umme Layla if she could take Ali Akbar with her and raise him like her own son, Lady Layla gladly responded yes and so did Imam Hussain (a). Lady Layla and Imam (a) used to see Ali Akbar on a frequent basis.

Historical reports say that when Ali Akbar and Abass (a) used to walk together people would desperately make rows so that they don't miss out the moon-like faces which would make the stars contemptible and the sun praise them.  

His face was majestic and shined like the moon. He (a) was adorned by beauty and cleanliness. He was middle height with white skin tending to pink. He (a) had black big eyes with long eyelashes. He (a) had a normal body, not fat and not thin with broad shoulders. He (a) walked fast as if he (a) was coming downhill. When he (a) turned to someone, he (a) turned all his body towards him. He (a) looked mostly down, rather looking up. He (a) smelled a fragrance of musk.

Imam Hussain(a) introduced him the most alike to the Prophet (s) in creation, manner and attributes among people.

After the companions of Imam (a) had sacrificed their lives to protect Islam; It was time for the Hashmites to sacrifice themselves to save their Imam (a).

'Ali Akbar, the life of Husayn ,the teenage son of Husayn, the darling of Husayn - came to his father and said:

"Father, may I now have permission to go for Jihad?"

A teenage son has come to his old father for permission to DIE! How does a father allow his teenage son - 18 years old - to die?

"My son, 'Ali Akbar, go, you have my permission, but Akbar, my darling, go and ask permission from your mother. Go and ask permission from Zainab, your auntie who has brought you up. Go, son, go."

'Ali Akbar took permission from his mother, Umm Laila.

'Ali Akbar then went to his auntie, Zainab.

"Auntie Zainab, tell me one thing. Whose life is more important? Your 'Ali Akbar's, or Bibi Fatimah's son, Husayn's?"

"My son, 'Ali Akbar, I would sacrifice a thousand lives to save Bibi Fatimah's son - Husayn's life.

Then auntie, do not stop me. Grant me permission. No one is left to save Husayn. Let me go, auntie, let me go."