⋞ᴄʜᴀᴘᴛᴇʀ 3- ᴛʜᴇ ʀᴇꜰᴜꜱᴀʟ≽

»»————-  ————-««

Refraining from giving allegiance to Yazid

After the death of Muawiyah on 15th Rajab, people gave allegiance to Yazid. As discussed earlier the Prophet (PBUH) had already clarified who should've been the Muslim Caliph. In a hadith a Prophet (PBUH) said:

"Hasan and Hussain are the leaders of the youth of paradise." ~ Sahih Bukhari

If they are the leaders of the youth of paradise, then it's clear that they deserve the same worldly status. However, Yazid and Muawiyah unrightfully corrupted the caliphate from the two brothers.

Yazid decided to take the allegiance of some of the nobles among Muslims who had previously rejected his father's invitation for giving allegiance to Yazid. Therefore, he wrote a letter to Walid Ibne Utba, the governor of Medina at that time and informed him of the death of Muawiyah and in a short letter, he wrote to him, "Take allegiance of Hussain Ibne Ali (AS), Abdullah Ibne Umar,Abdul Rahman Ibne AbuBakr and Abdullah Ibne Zubayr by force and behead anyone of them who does not accept."

Then, Walid received another letter from Yazid, in which he had insisted, "Write the names of those who approved me and objected to me and also send to me the head of Hussain Ibn Ali (a) with the letter." Imam (a) and 30 people of his close companions went to Dar al-'Imara (residence of emir). Walid informed Hussain (a) about the death of Muawiyah and then read the letter of Yazid to him, in which Walid was asked to take allegiance of Imam (a) to Yazid. Hussain Ibn Ali (a) told Walid, "Will you be happy if I give allegiance to Yazid secretly? I assume you want that I give allegiance in public." Walid said, "I have that idea."Hussain (a) said, "So, give me time until tomorrow and I will inform you of my opinion."

The evening of the next day, the governor of Medina sent his agents to the house of Hussain (a) to receive the answer of Hussain (a). Hussain (a) asked for the time of night as well and Walid accepted. Imam (a) decided to leave Medina and refused to give allegiance to Yazid.

»»————-  ————-««

Why didn't Imam (AS) pledge allegiance to Yazid?

One of the primary reasons for Imam Hussain's refusal for pledging allegiance to Yazid Ibn Muawiyah was latter's unjustified and irregular appointment as the Caliph of Muslims. This appointment was made in utter violation of a peace treaty earlier concluded between the Umayyad Caliph Muawiyah Ibn Abu Sufyan and Imam Hassan, the elder brother of Imam Hussain, who had step down in favour of the former. Under this treaty, Muawiyah was supposed not to nominate his successor during his reign, thereby allowing the Muslim community to choose their next Ameer (head of state). However, Muawiyah arbitrarily nominate his prodigal son Yazid as his successor who was a known violator of Islamic injunctions. Therefore, by revolting against the authoritarian rule of Yazid, Imam Hussain apparently tried to preserve certain democratic traditions in the Muslim polity.

Imam Hussain (AS) was declared "Prince of the Paradise" by Prophet Muhammad (PBUH). There is also a Saying of Prophet Muhammad (PBUH) that "Hussain is from me and I am from Hussain". But Yazid was an immoral, sinful and wicked person. This is the reason Imam Hussain (AS) just refused to pledge allegiance to Yazid when he was asked to do so by saying that "how can a person like me pledge allegiance to a person like you?"

»»————-  ————-««

Hi fellows! Hope you liked Chapter 3: The Refusal

One thing I want to clarify is that we are talking about and according to the Muslims, whether you are whether you are not, this doesn't concerns you at all. We are judging and looking according to the Muslim perspective. If anything here is condemned it's condemned by the Islamic laws. It's important for you to understand why Hussain was righteous. For that you must read "everything" no unessecary details are included for you to ommit.

⨻REMEMBER MUSLIM PERSPECTIVE IS DISCUSSED⨻

⨻NO RELIGION IS INSULTED⨻

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Don't forget to comment, and vote :) (It means A LOT)

»»————-  ————-««