9. Don't Know What You're Running From

I looked down at my phone as it went to voicemail once more.

                Natalie glanced back at me, “You know he is probably with Jared still.”

                I put my phone back into my pocket as the car pulled up.

                Welcome back to reality.

                Welcome back to Syracuse, New York.

                The car went through the roads of my home town as I saw the old church that I used to run to on crazy nights.

                Or the little bridge to the left of the old market that I had my first kiss on or that little bridge that I pushed someone into the river from.

                The good times were coming back now.               

                All of them were coming back and most of them could probably have me in jail for what I use to do.

                The car pulled up to the old manor as Natalie glanced back at me, “The prison waits.”

                I rolled my eyes as I got out of the car.

                Silverwood Manor, all 38,757 square feet of it was looking back at me, the gray walls were towering over me and the old stain glass windows were still glowing from the light inside the house.

                Natalie glanced back at me, “Are you gonna be able to do this?”

                “Shut up Natalie,” I said as I walked up to the house.

                Natalie nodded her head back at me as she got back into the car.

                I looked back at the door as I grabbed the door handle.

                I went into the house knowing that my life was about to explode into what should have never happened.

                I walked through the massive doors as they cracked like they used to.

                I pushed the doors closed when I heard the music.

                I went over to the steps and tossed my bags down when I went down the hallway toward the back room.

                I stopped when I saw the dozen or so people smiling and drinking expensive wine.

                I looked around the room when I saw my father at the far end of the room.

                He was staring back at me when I waved back at him.

                He handed his drink over to the guy then ran at me.

                “Jordana, you are home!” he cried out as he picked me up with tears rolling down his cheeks.

                I hugged him back when I saw my mother at the other side of the room with hate in her eyes.

                “I am home Dad.”

                He put me back down when Mom walked up to me, “Hey Mom.”

                “You look like a mess,” she said back to me with her teeth clenched.

                I smiled back at her as I wrapped my arms around her, “I love you too.”