PT.2 C H A P T E R THIRTY- NINE

Start from the beginning

"That's amazing. One of the main reasons we're here today is to talk about the recent news that's been shared but I want to backtrack. This is a 'learn about Y/n' day because in retrospect, the media doesn't know much about you, do they?" Truthfully, they didn't. And I ain't even realize that. "We know what you do for a living, we know who 'Rihanna's Fiancé' is but.. who is Y/n?"

I sat back on the chair, my eyebrows raising at the deep ass question that I hadn't even asked myself before. "Um wow that's a.. good question." She smiled warmly with a nod as I scratched the back of my neck. "I think.. Y/n is.. someone who's just trying to do the right thing, you know?" She nodded again. "So many times I've come to a fork in the road and took the wrong path, I'm just trying my hardest to rewrite those paths. I wanna go down the right road, that's all."

"Those forks in the road.. did they start in your childhood?" Oh we were gonna get real deep today I see.. shit. I nodded softly and she watched me with cautious yet welcoming eyes. It was almost as if she was trying to make sure I was within my comfort level yet trying to push me to go past me comfort level. I don't know, it made sense in a weird way if you think about it. "Can you tell us about how it was for you growing up?"

I exhaled heavily and nodded. "I was raised in Atlanta. I don't think I need to explain that much, it's Atlanta. Basically the black Hollywood." I chuckled to myself, the nickname always tickling me for some reason. "I love Atlanta but everything out there is so.. superficial which is why I picked the college furthest from there. But um.. my parents growing up were always fighting. It was some of the worst verbal fights I've ever witnessed, to this day."

I sighed and ran a hand through my hair as I felt emotions flared up as I thought about my teenage years. "There was never physical fighting between my parents but they hated one another. You could hear it in their voices and I knew they couldn't stand each other but I still wanted them together. I would pray so hard, 'God, just don't break my parents up' and looking back.. I can't fathom why I'd pray for that."

"It was familiar." She answered with a sad smile. "Sometimes we become so blinded by the beauty of a rose that we bypass the thorns stabbing our hand."

I hummed softly. Damn she was wise. "Exactly. But eventually they did get a divorce and I moved with my father. At the time I didn't see it as a big deal. I looked up to my dad, he was my hero.. but that was the first fork in the road. My fathers a great man but he had his issues, issues that he projected onto me."

I huffed before shaking my head. "I love my father but he didn't know how to be a father, he knew how to be a coach. And like any coach, they push you to be better in the game. In a time when children need their parents guidance the most, I was being coached on how to not feel emotions, how to use people to further myself in life.. how to not care about the very thing that I am."

Realization dawned in her eyes as she nodded slowly. "So as a child you were guided by your hero to be someone completely different?" I nodded. "Wow. And as children we can be naive to things that are clearly wrong but.. it's your parents, someone you trust." I nodded again. "And how has that affected your upbringing? Through your adulthood."

"I became someone I wasn't." I said right off the bat as I shrugged. "It took me until twenty four to come to my senses. Eight years.. eight year of living someone else's life."

"What did it take for you to break elm that mold?"

"To be honest?" I chuckled to myself and shook my head. "Robyn Rihanna Fenty." She laughed softly as I looked up again. "No joke. When I tell you she whipped me into shape like cake batter- man.."

She leaned forward in intrigue with a wide smile. "Okay but how? Because I know it couldn't be easy.."

"It wasn't but.. okay so at that point in my life, I wasn't a person that was really told.. no." Her eyebrows shot up as I made a face. "That sounds terrible but it's true. I was popular throughout high school and college, I could most likely get any girl that I wanted.. now Robyn."