PT.2 C H A P T E R SIXTEEN

August 12th, Atlanta

"Holy shit." My dad said, Jay's jaw dropping at my revelation and I nodded softly with a smile, his hand resting on his chin as he gave me a once over. "Really?"

"Yeah. Next month." I said while dribbling the basketball. "I really love her dad."

He nodded slowly and looked away silently. I wanted to know what he was thinking. It's been months since I've seen my father and I just wanted to spend time with him, hang out.. talk. But he did more silent nodding than anything.

My brother looked at our dad and shook his head before facing me. "Hey," Jay said with a wide smile before pulling me into a hug. "I'm proud of you yo, I better be the best man."

I chuckled and patted his back. "You know it. You may have to fight Dante for the rights but.."

"Aye, I'll kick his pretty face ass." He said and flexed his baby muscles, making me laugh. "For real though.. congrats."

"Thanks man."

I looked over at my dad again, hoping he'd do something right for once. All he did was nod again before flipping the slab of meat on the grill. "Are you serious man?" I looked at Jay with furrowed eyebrows as he sighed. "I'm so sick of this shit."

"Jay," I said and rested my hand on his shoulder but he shook me off. "No Y/nn. I'm old enough to speak my mind." He turned back to dad. "You have the chance to make it up right here and you're gonna let it go to waste?"

"Watch how you speak to me." He said lowly and turned to him. "I'm still your father."

Jay snapped. "You're hers too! Act like it!" I sighed and shook my head when his dark eyes met mine. "After everything she's trying to have a relationship with you. Share part of her life with you. If it was me I would've been left you in the dust but she's here. The least you can do is congratulate her for being more of a man then you'll ever be-"

My eyes widened, a gasp leaving my lips when my dad backhanded Jayden. "I pay the bills for the house you're in. Stay in your place."

I stepped forward and pulled him back, my eyes on the cut on his lip. "Jay.." I mumbled and held his head before looking at my.. looking at Rich. "What is wrong with you? You can't solve everything by slapping your kids around. Look where that got you with me."

I swallowed thickly when he looked away and pulled a cigarette from behind his ear without a care. "Fine.. I tried to have a relationship with you. Fine.." I nodded and shook my head. "Jay go get your stuff."

My brother wiped his mouth and dropped his head as he nodded softly before leaving the backyard. I stared at the man who I didn't seem to recognize and I almost saw something deeper wrong. "I came to ask if you wanted to meet your granddaughter because she's here with my mom." His eyes snapped up to mine. "I wanted you in my life. I hoped you'd be different but you still believe love and caring is the worst thing.. and for that, I think you might just need it the most."

He watched silently as I left the backyard in time to see Jay coming down with his backs. "Come here," I mumbled and grabbed a napkin from the counter, wetting it before holding it to his lip. "You good?" He nodded and grabbed the napkin. "Let's go to moms."

I led him out of the house, my head shaking as I didn't look back and got the hell out of there.

I remember those days. Slapped for standing up for myself, kicked down for even thinking about challenging dads agenda. I wasn't about to let my little brother go through that shit. It was damaging, traumatizing. And dad has the nerve to call it 'a way of becoming stronger.' You'll never in a million years catch me slapping my daughter to make her 'stronger' Fuck that.