Something You Need To Know

Začať od začiatku

Beldon sighed at that and Louise smiled at his mild despair.

"But you don't need to be looked after, do you," she said softly. Beldon glanced at her and she leant back against the sofa, looking over her shoulder, out of the window. "I think it's why Raoul is avoiding you; I've noticed his strange behaviour. So have William and Angelo. But I think it's down to him just not quite knowing what do to with you."

"I don't think I've changed so much."

"Your feelings have," she said then she leant forwards. "They've shifted to someone else, haven't they?"

Beldon sighed, another one of those observant types - or maybe he was just tragically obvious. He glanced across the room to where Christian was, talking to Jean - something about the stables. These people watched him far too closely.

"Perhaps they have," Beldon said.

"I hope it works."

Beldon looked at her in surprise.

"I want it to work this time," she said, then grinned, "I'm not a rival and I do wish for your happiness."

Beldon raised an eyebrow at her. "Oh but if you are a rival then you don't?"

"Well, one has to live by the cut-throat rules of the seasons, marry yourself well first, then worry about others."

Beldon laughed slightly. "An excellent point."

"My mother has told me it enough times that it had better be," she said.

"And I see you lived up to it." He held out a hand and, after looking at it, Louise took it, raising an eyebrow at him. "I would only choose to lose to you," he said and she smiled, then suddenly Beldon stopped.

"Beldon?"

"I just remembered," he said, staring at her neckline, "All this time, I completely forgot about it. I brought a wedding gift back with me." He quickly rose to his feet. "Stay here, I'll be right back."

A few moments later and Beldon took his seat again and presented Louise with the bag. Smiling, she took it and undid the string, reaching inside and pulling out the necklace.

Her jaw dropped.

"Oh Beldon," she breathed, her eyes wide.

"Iago was actually the one who picked it out for you; I hope it's to your taste."

"Oh Beldon, I adore it," she said.

"There are a couple more pieces, have a look," he said, gesturing to the bag.

The necklace had instantly caught the attention of those around them and the guests all started drifting closer to see the late wedding gifts.

Louise reached into the bag again and pulled out the matching earrings and diamond ring.

Impressed mutters swept through the room, drawing everyone else over.

"Beldon, they're incredible," Louise said, instantly reaching up to take off the necklace she was wearing. "Raoul! Raoul darling, come look at these."

Raoul pushed his way through the crowd and his brow shot skywards when he saw the gifts.

"Well," he said, staring, "Bel, you're spoiling her."

"Just setting the bar for you," Beldon said as Louise handed Raoul the necklace so he could put it on her.

As everyone pushed in closer to see the items, a hand reached through and picked up the ring making Louise jump and Beldon looked up.