Chapter Fifteen - Dreaming of Castles

Start from the beginning

The inside of the castle was fucking complicated, everything was made of the Lizard, and every inch of it had chakra coursing through it, the gaps where the rooms had been formed had less chakra, but still far more then there should be in an empty room.

Some of the rooms were also moving, which was weird as hell.

I could feel chakra twisted into complex shapes, doors, door handles, staircases, paintings, statues, and more, there was also a single bar of blue chakra that stood out starkly against the yellow of the summon beast.

For whatever reason, the creature had left an open pathway to the scroll, which was strange because if you were laying a trap, you wouldn't even give them a chance to catch the bait, well not if it were priceless anyway. It wasn't even inside any of the moving rooms, it was literally down a staircase, down a hallway, first door on the left, it was almost like directions to a bathroom.

I remembered in the source material it had been here for fifty years? I think? Summoned as a last-ditch effort of a spiteful summoner to kill anyone who wanted to possess the castle. The summon had been here for ages, and I was starting to think that it would have wanted to get the hell out of here.

I certainly would have, I hated being alone for more than a little while, my mental state started rapidly deteriorating the longer I went without someone to talk to. I couldn't imagine how this creature must have felt after fifty long years. Didn't summons all have families and shit? This poor thing probably just wanted to go home.

Like Gamabunta, Gamakichi, and all the others. Manda, and the snake that wasn't Manda. There were heaps of them as well, this poor chameleon had been stuck out in the middle of fucking nowhere for fifty actual years.

Not fifty off-screen anime years, fifty real years.

Away from its family, its friends, its world, just to carry out the last orders of some spiteful asshole who didn't want the enemy to take his Land. We stood at the threshold of the castle.

"Ready?" I said firmly.

Karenbana looked a little afraid now that I was paying attention.

"How are you okay with this?" Karenbana said, strained. "I am going to get eaten."

"I didn't hear you complaining last night," I said cheekily and then sprinted into the castle.

I headed for the staircase moving as quickly as I could, Karenbana still managed to catch me in a couple of seconds, cheeks bright red.

I tore down the stairs, and the Summon finally started to move; either it had only just noticed us for the first time, or maybe it had been asleep. I felt the chakra inside the front gate start to seal itself shut, something was rising from the floor slowly to cover the exit.

Well, that was terrifying.

I caught something moving on the wall out of the corner of my eye as we came around the corner but ignored it, I could already see the door to the treasure. The moving rooms that were elsewhere in the 'castle' were going a hell of a lot faster compared to everything else that was moving around, either the Summon was deliberately slowing this down to allow us to get to the scroll, or something else was going on.

I saw the ground at the door slowly start to rise, at less than half the rate of the front gate, and it was only knee height when I dove over the top of it and into the room. Karenbana was inside in an instant before she dragged me up off the floor and away from the slowly growing tendrils that were reaching for my legs.