Chapter 24

-Pic of Chad on the side!

Paise's P.O.V

'See you tomorrow,' Ashton calls from his silver Lexus. He has just driven me to the fake house I lied that was my residence after school had ended.

I hate lying to him after he's been completely honest with me, but I don't have any choice, really. I don't want to scare him off by showing him my disgrace of a house and meeting my mom.

'Bye!' I wave, walking behind the house to the supposed back door. As soon as I hear his car make its way away from the driveway, I take this as my cue to run home.

I'm now out of the beautiful neighborhood and roaming about the streets of the projects. I better get home quickly to make Mom dinner before she passes out from her alcohol.

'Dayum Mami, that ass of yours. Mmm. Turn around so I can see you for real,' I hear a vaguely familiar and terribly thirsty voice behind me.

I instantly regret the second I turn around and come face to face with Chad. I quickly look around but I'm glad that he isn't accompanied with his other friends. But then again, Chad doesn't need a crew to assault someone. He's deadly in his own right.

His eyes turn to the size of watermelons when he sees me, just like Landon's this morning, except he makes no attempt of hiding his surprise. He just stands there like the creepy thug he is with his mouth hung wide open, revealing fake grills on his lower jaw.

I turn my head and fast-walk away, not wanting to stick around during this familiar encounter. Chad is bad news, I think even worse than Landon.

It's not long before I hear footsteps beside me. I don't even turn my head to know that Chad is hustling beside me, trying to keep up to my fast walking pace.

'Hey, Paise,' he tries, smiling. Why is he acting brand new for?

I ignore him and keep walking. He lets out a sigh but keeps following me.

'What do you want?' I ask after a couple of minutes of walking side by side.

I stop to look at Chad. All his weird piercings are gone and beneath the intimidating metal, he looks genuinely beautiful.

He has a very structured jaw that makes him look masculine, but his bright green eyes combined with luscious brown hair make him look one of those self-absorbed boys on Tumblr.

'I just want to say that you look beautiful,' he says, looking down at the pavement. As I register his words, I feel a sudden surge of anger run through my veins.

I turn around to face him with adrenaline pumping through my veins.

'You call me ugly, you taunt me, you bully me every chance you've got, you force me to dance for you and you make jokes about my father leaving! Now you're calling me beautiful?! Hell no! Just leave me alone and get on with your hustling life. Don't you dare speak to me again!' I yell, not holding anything back.

Do people think I would forgive them that easily for what they've done to me all these years? I'm not "Naive Paise" for god's sake!

With that, I leave him there, mortified and walk straight to my house. I don't care if I made him upset, heck I want him to be upset! I'm not a toy that you can use and throw away. I'm a human being with actual feelings so why do people treat me like a rag doll?

I open the door to my house and slowly creep in. I walk past the kitchen and into the living room where Mom is collapsed on the floor.

I run quickly to her and check her vital signs. I sigh in relief as she still has a pulse and is breathing gently. As much as she has hurt me, she's still my Mom and she's the reason I'm in this world in the first place so I have to take care of her like she took care of me when I was younger.