Chapter 43

Landon's P.O.V

I was not in love.

That was a stupid conclusion to draw to, but there was not a single doubt that my eyes were. As soon as they had connected with a shy-looking and drastically changed Paise, I had to force myself to blink a few times— as if it held the solution to prevent my mind from being blown further.

'You look so hot.'

My face immediate flushes at the comment as soon as it leaves my mouth. It was distinctive of a jerk; winning over the ladies with but a glance of their eyes and not so much as the use of a single braincell. But I was torn between acts of chivalrous restraint and the truth.

She stares at me for a full two seconds before erupting into a gentle, melodious laugh. The sound simultaneously causes every muscle in my body to tense and feel as flimsy as jello.

'The attention isn't meant to be on me, silly. Happy birthday!' She squeals before surprising me by enthusiastically hugging my body.

Amazed and embarrassingly excited, I instinctively wrap my arms around her torso, pulling her body closer to mine. In the process, my fingers lightly brush over the initial cause of my quickened heartbeat and instant attraction before a smile makes its presence known on my face.

'Your hair... I fucking love it,' I draw back from our embrace to run my hands through her thick, dark braids.

They were secured in a high ponytail that ended right on her tailbone and swayed freely whenever she moved or laughed. Her signature heart-shaped face was no longer concealed, and slightly protruding ears exposed, but she looked absolutely perfect as always.

She's dressed in a grey fitting short-sleeved tee paired with black high-rise jeans. The booted heels on her feet increased her height by an impressive two inches, and the accessories of a thick gold chain and pearl earnings only add elegance to her look without dominating the raw beauty of her face.

I notice she's wearing a thin layer of makeup which was definitely not a requirement, but added a sort of glow about her. She looked cute and fiesty; demure yet se—

'Thank you,' she flips her hair over her shoulder in a playful manner and smiles, unable to fully understand how much that gesture affected me.

'You're welcome,' I mutter quietly.

With each growing second, I feel the need to take a cold shower increase by several notches and I'm left wondering when my accelerated hormonal fluctuations will subside.

Not soon, I conclude. Not if she keeps looking at me like that.

'Should I put this near your brand new private jet?' Paise holds her gift in front of me with a faux inquiring expression spread across her face, disturbing my confused thoughts.

I almost laugh, but stop myself in time to frown down at her.

'Wow...' I speak, my voice conveying a realistic shock intertwined with disbelief.

'I'm sorry, I was joking,' she immediately withdrawals. Her perfectly sculpted eyebrows knit together as she looks to the ground, failing to meet my gaze.

'We don't just play with money... How dare you insult my family like that?' I continue pushing the boundaries and causing additional discomfort on her part. She droops her head further and plays with her fingers.

'I didn't know it was a sensitive subj-'

'You can put it next to my personal helicopter. It's right by the Statue of Liberty,' I cut her off before erupting into a monstrous series of compulsive laughs.