Chapter 46

Paise's P.O.V

Sunday's arrival was well embraced for no other reason save my own selfish benefit; I decide it serves a distraction from the restlessness the former night brought upon.

I wake up almost eagerly. To say my sleep had been compromised would be a mild understatement as my mind felt perpetually occupied with thoughts of him, my eyes unblinkingly focused on the small device that lay adjacent to my head. They both had challenged me, almost teasing as I was completely submerged in surmise.

Yet he didn't call nor text.

I don't dawn on the fact weightily in thought. Yesterday presented a reminder of the delicate nature of the past and it's startling capacity to draw out the sensibilities of even the least vulnerable. Though I can deal with the blame of ruining his eighteenth birthday celebration, I could only hope for Landon's wellbeing— Guilt, patient and selective in its coming, is able to suck away all semblances of enjoyment by its very nature.

I shake my head and swiftly become preoccupied of the day's events; work, homework and preparing for the upcoming week. Oddly enough, I feel nearly excited. A new day bears new beginnings... So I pray.

My shower, oral care and hasty dress pass by in a blur alongside my train of thought. In no time it seems, I grab my belongings and make my way to the bus stop— a record two and a half minutes earlier than usual.

As I sit, interlocking and untangling my fingers for mild amusement, I soon feel the presence of a person beside me. When I turn, a lady— perhaps in her later sixties— accompanies me on the cool metallic seat. Though a complete stranger, her aura is rather light, inferring warmth or at the very least, grace. So when she smiles at me, I make a conscious attempt to candidly mirror her.

Apart from the silent exchange, no further communication commences between us. I simply revert to my fidgety state while she pulls out a worn hardcover book. She revels in the narrative with quiet laughter and ever-so-often noises of approval. When the time comes I smile at her as to say farewell for my bus has finally arrived. I prepare to get up, but remain in position as I feel a gentle, wrinkly hand cover my own jerky one.

The woman tears her gaze from whatever novel she was reading to my direction. She scans my face almost affectionately before whispering, 'Have a lovely day. Don't fret, all will be alright.'

The comment comes unexpected, halting me in place. I slowly realize that despite her words being vague, their translation to my situation is transparent. My anxious fingers relax, I gather my belongings and self and return the woman's uplifting encouragement with an earnest "thank you".

I then enter the bus where I am shoved and pushed by masses of people, not to mention again confronted by odd smells from every direction. But unlike countless former experiences, through the bumping and noise and mild chaos, I choose to ignore it all. Instead I focus on the day ahead while trying to make my impulsive Cheshire Cat-wide smile look as natural as possible.

-

'Well ain't somebody lookin' as happy as ever at ten in the mornin'?' Maggie greets me as I basically fly through the restaurant doors and to the front counter.

'Typical Paise,' Charlene adds with a tenderly chuckle. She shares a glance with her friend while I stare up at them, smile still fixed in place.

'What's not to be happy about? The day brings so much new opportunity!' I exclaim perhaps a bit too enthusiastically for the women shortly descend into humorous laughter.

'Of course, sweetie,' Charlene encourages. 'But this "opportunity" gonna start after a well deserved rest. Dawn shift got me worked! ... See y'all later,' she hugs both Maggie and I before calling out a farewell to the crew and walking out of the building.