1:16

REWRITTEN

REWRITTEN.

The skin on the left side of her chest began to itch. Half asleep, she absently rubbed at the stinging spot where the bullet had hit, the silky like scarbeneath her fingertips tingling and oddly numb despite the ache within her ribcage.

Her mind drifted to Five's wounded side. Her intent was that he'd only be left with a shallow wound crusted over like a scab.

An unknown amount of time passed.

Violet had her head resting back against the seat of the couch, legs sprawled out in front of her on the floor. She was too exhausted to even fidget, all of the life having been literally drained from her for a time.

She was in such a sluggish daze that she barely noticed the hand twitch within her own, or the sudden shift of weight behind her.

Violet was shocked awake by a pair of arms wrapping around her shoulders from behind, a face buried against her shoulder.

Her muscles tightened, breath hitching as she froze. But when she glimpsed the familiar blue of his sleeves, she melted into the hold and weakly held onto his arms around her, resting her head against the side of his.

Concern washed over her as she realised the arms around her were shaking. There was a wet warmth against her shoulder and a flurry of emotions swarmed her as she realised that Five Hargreeves was crying.

Tears welled in her own eyes and she forced herself to close them tightly to make it stop.

"I thought you were really gone this time."

It was so faint she barely heard it.

Her heart stuttered at the break in his voice. She didn't even get a chance to consider what his words truly meant, too caught up in the moment.

The two held eachother as tight as each of them could manage in their weak states.

"I'm sorry."

Violet couldn't even comprehend what he was saying.

"I'm sorry," his voice cracked. "I'm sorry. It's my fault."

Violet was weak but managed to squeeze his arm, burying her face against it while her eyebrows knitted together.

She didn't want to hear it, but Five couldn't go on without vocalising it.

"I'm sorry." She echoed in such the slightest whisper she was scared he wouldn't hear it.

But he did.

He shifted slightly to pull away, frowning deeply.

She craned her head to meet his eye, her gaze hollow and fractured. Their noses were just centimeters away from eachother and neither seemed to care.