2:9

Violet gazed at the floor as they were allowed entrance, and they all stepped into a big venue with tall white walls, shiny marble floors and a high winding staircase above a little stage for the band

Violet gazed at the floor as they were allowed entrance, and they all stepped into a big venue with tall white walls, shiny marble floors and a high winding staircase above a little stage for the band. On the other side of the room with high glass windows showing the beautiful garden outside sat a sleek, grand black piano where a man casually played something classical.

People milled around, chatting idly as the night had barely begun, all dressed in sharp suits and stunning formal evening dresses of every colour and pattern.

There certainly wasn't another female in a suit like her own, and she shrunk behind Five for cover, a habit.

Lila swiftly tugged Diego to the dance floor by his tie held over her shoulder and he had no choice but to follow, sending them a startled look over his shoulder.

Violet followed Five to the edge of the room, ducking and swiftly avoiding bumping into anyone knowing she was effectively acting as his shadow.

When they got to the edge of the room she kept herself tucked slightly behind him, resting back against the cold wall for grounding.

Her eyes moved quickly, watching people dance and saunter past them like she was watching something on television. They all had so much confidence, their heads high, the dancers enjoying the night and the music and letting themselves have fun for the evening.

A few minutes of calmly waiting and observing passed.

They weren't offered any drinks by the servers milling around and she had a feeling it was because they still looked younger than anyone here, which was ironic.

That gave her an idea.

She leant forwards to whisper in Fives ear, "If I see dad I can't promise I won't throw champagne at him."

He did well to keep his head facing forwards but spoke out the corner of his mouth. "So long as no one catches you I dont think anyone can fault you for it."

She quirks a smile at the floor, running her fingers along the bandaids tightly wrapped around her broken ones, going down the back of her hand. It still sent twinges of pain down her arm, and yet it was soothing somehow.

"Stop doing that."

She glared at the back of his head and ignored him.

Another server waltzed past them and Five moved stealthily to grab a flute of champagne - the man kept going and he grabbed a second one with his other hand over his shoulder before he could notice anything gone. They watched his back as he disappeared through the people.

Five turned to face her and swiftly handed her a glass, forcing her to stop fidgeting so she didn't drop it and make a mess.

Her eyes darted to the glass then back up at him, narrowed.

"I know you don't like champagne."

She blinked at him.

"But it's the only way to get you to stop fidgeting." He shrugged, taking a sip from his own.