1:3

REWRITTEN.

Thunder shook her out of her own mind.

Violet snapped her head up, muscles tense, as the sky outside her window turned grey with rolling storm clouds. A loud, rumbling energy crackled just beyond the glass.

Where usually thunderstorms eased her mind, something about this one had hairs raising at the back of her neck. She uncurled quickly from her position and used her nightstand to help her up so she could reach her window. She scanned the peculiar sight of a sapphire blue swarming energy in the centre of the clouds, looming above the courtyard.

Something about the colour of it and the abnormality of the sudden storm forming had her transfixed.

She didn't snap out of it until things in her room started shaking and rattling.

Her drawers flung themselves open and slammed shut by an invisible force. She flinched away when books flew across the room from their neat and organised places, eliciting a distressed noise from her throat. She scrambled onto her knees to try and pick them up, stacking them in her arms, but more kept dropping in front of her as though to purposely mock her - and finally she threw them down onto the floor before groaning.

Having no choice but to leave it, though she itched to do the exact opposite, she fought the urge not to tear her hair out and ran downstairs to see what the hell was going on.

As she made it downstairs before the others, all she could think of was the mess that her books were in upstairs and that she should be fixing them right now but she wasn't and it was killing her.

The wind blew her long hair over her shoulder and she squinted up at the mass of crackling energy above her.

A mass of voices and footsteps surrounded her but all she could hear was the energy surging and crackling.

"It looks like some sort of temporal anomaly," Luther stepped forward. "That or a miniature black hole."

"Pretty big difference there, paul bunyan." Diego quipped, annoyed.

Her books were in a state. The pages were probably crumpled and folded on the floor. What if her hardcovers were dented? Damaged? What if one of her books were ripped?

She drummed her fingers repetitively against her collarbone, focusing on the sound, the hollow feeling. She did it more until it actually hurt.

There was something about the way it flashed like lightning, such a deep blue... her heart raced and she took a shaky step back, her heart hurting inside her chest. The colour of it reminded her of something. And it hurt to think about.

Her eyes flickered to her siblings faces but none of them seemed to think what she was thinking. Sometimes she thought she was the only one who cared anymore.

Her mind went back to her fucking stupid books.

Luther stepped in front of them all, arms out cautiously. "Get behind me!"

"Yeah," Diego stepped up with him protectively. "Get behind us."

Violet drummed against her collarbone, more hitting it now than tapping, so much so even her knuckle was hurting.