2:3

REWRITTEN

The idea at first was to let her sleep in the store room until she could afford a motel two blocks down, but being underage and only getting minimum wage, (which was even less than it was in 2019) it would take a while for that to be enough and so...

The idea at first was to let her sleep in the store room until she could afford a motel two blocks down, but being underage and only getting minimum wage, (which was even less than it was in 2019) it would take a while for that to be enough and so it looked more like a longterm solution.

Violet didn't mind as long as Elaina didn't mind.

Her job consisted of cleaning, wiping tables, taking back the plates and cutlery and tidying before they locked up. What she wasn't there for was being a waitress, because Elaina knew speaking to people wasn't her strongest skill.

People in the sixties were even more judgemental than in twenty nineteen and she had already had grief from older, self entitled white men greeting her then getting rude and snappy when she didn't respond.

Occasionally as she'd be cleaning tables, someone from another table would click their fingers at her and call out for table service. She wouldn't even glance at them and she'd get called names, and if Elaina heard she'd quickly tell them that it wasn't her job to serve them - and if they continued with that attitude in her diner (or her husbands, rather), she'd ban them from service in the future.

But there were times when Elaina was busy and the other waitresses were occupied and someone would call out to her and she'd have to ignore them, that they'd get up from their seat and cause trouble.

Violet was stacking some empty plates from a table next to this young-ish group of people - three men in their early twenties; one in a smart suit without a tie fiddling with a pack of cigarettes, his arm slung over the back of the booth, and two others slightly younger looking, one without a suit jacket and one in casual clothing. A girl sat next to one of them in a polka patterned dress, the casual ones denim jacket slung around her shoulders.

The one in the dark suit, looking like he could be studying to be a lawyer, had been there a few times, but this was the first time he'd shown up with a group of friends. The moment they walked in together she knew there would be trouble purely by how loud they were being.

"Hey, can we get some more cokes for the table?" The guy with his shirt sleeves rolled up called out to her, gesturing with his hand in the air.

Violet glanced briefly at them through a curtain of her hair but continued stacking the last plate and picking them up to carry them away, anxiety swarming in her gut.

There was a pause before the one in the suit sat spoke.

"Hello?" He called out, waving lazily as the rest snickered as she ignored them further. "Are you deaf or something?"

Violet chewed on the inside of her cheek as she went to walk past their booth with a stack and nearly tripped over the leg that suddenly stuck out in her path.

She careered to a stop, his shoe colliding with her shin before he quickly tucked his leg back in and bit back a smirk, his whole table watching her like she was some sort of spectacle.