-35-

Not edited.

Red's arrival had been bitter sweet in more ways than one. In twenty four hours she seemed to have become a hollow version of her former self while at the same time his heart swelled to have her near.

When Lucas had wheeled her into the room in a wheelchair he'd immediately got up from the bed and knelt down in front of her. With arms wrapped around one another they wept.

He promised her the world. He promised to be the best father he could be. He promised that he'd tell her everything when she was ready to talk again. No more secrets even if he lost her because of Nicole. His past needed to stay where it should as he took the lessons he learnt into the future. Time to stop blaming everyone else.

Red asked him a million questions and he answered every one as best he could.

It was a nurse coming through the door that made him realise they weren't alone. Both Anna and Ben had come with them and had been standing back quietly giving them space.

He'd received word earlier that Claire's surgery had gone well and she was in recovery. The doctor was waiting for her mother to arrive so he could explain everything that happened... but Claire was going to be OK.

The call he'd placed to Lucas had been the most important and it was definitely the best call he'd ever had to make. Relaying the words he'd been told had him choking back tears as he laughed, really laughed,  for the first time in months.

He could hear the cheers from all in the plane as Lucas rushed to tell them that it was all right. Claire was doing OK.

Now he was behind Red pushing her wheelchair as Lucas, Ben and Anna followed quietly behind. A nurse chatted happily beside them and even though he wished he could just jam a sock down her throat he realised how grateful he was that after what seemed like forever the nurses could now smile around him. The dark cloud was gone.

They were going to see their daughter. They were going to speak with the doctor.

The sense of foreboding danger was now gone.

*******