-11-

Not edited.

"RED!!"

Sam ran from his back door to the small cottage at the back of his house. Red was on the ground.

Sliding quickly down beside her he started to panic.

"Red! Come on sweetheart... talk to me!"

He checked her over as she lay unconscious, her breathing laboured. He looked around her head and paled as his hand came back covered in blood.

Fuck no!

Digging into his pocket he dialed for an ambulance. A five minute wait that felt like a century.

"Red... come on... please wake up" he wanted nothing more than to gather her into his arms and race to his car but feared doing more damage. Ripping his shirt off he pressed it to the side of her head where the blood was coming from. He applied pressure as best as he could in the awkward position.

Looking around he saw blood on a rock that bordered the cottage garden. He fumed. Never again would he use rocks as edging.

The ambulance made it's wat down the side of his house and he yelled out telling them to hurry.

He didn't want to let go. He needed to be with her. He stared down and waited nervously as she was examined and prepared for transporting to hospital. He jerked back to the present when he was asked for her details.

"Red."

Then he realised that he had no idea as to who she really was. She was dressed in her work uniform so he looked around to see where her wallet was... finally finding it underneath a tree at least ten feet away.

Rushing back to the side of the trolley bed as they were loading it ibto the back of the ambulance he thrust it towards one of the ambulance officers.

"Here."

Just one minute later they were driving off and he was running to his car. Making a call to his brother Jack as he put the key into the ignition. Arrangements made to meet at the hospital as he followed Red.

He felt the warmth of a tear as it escaped down the side of his face and wiped it away viciously. Red needed him to be strong.

He watched as the ambulance entered the emergency driveway and swerved off to the carpark for visitors.

He couldn't remember if he locked his car. He just remembered running to the doors that led to the emergency triage. He told the nurse Red lived with him and she promised to let him know whatever she could when she knew something herself.

Jack and Daisy raced in to find him pacing the floor.

"She's in there. I don't know anything else."

Taking a look at the expression on Daisy's face he pulled her in tightly. Red had made an impact on them all. She'd been with them for a month and they were family. She was one of them.

A doctor came out through the doors and the nurse pointed to Sam, Jack and Daisy.

"Sam. Good to see you. Bad circunstances though."

"Fuck that shit Jim, how is she?"

"Are you the father of the baby?"

"No, no I'm not. She lives in the cottage behind my place. She doesn't have anyone here."

"Look I'd like to tell you we know what caused it but she is stable, blood pressure was through the roof when she came in. That'd be why she passed out..."

"What about her head?"

"A decent cut but the pressure you put on it helped stem the flow. Seven stitches."

"Can we see her?" Daisy asked anxiously while Jack nodded solemnly.

"Not at the moment."

"What the fuck..."

"Sam, this is an emergency room. Curb the language." Jim sighed "As I was saying, she's doing fine but the baby's stressed to the point of being dangerous. She's being prepped for an emergency caesarean."

"Oh my god" Daisy gasped as Sam and Jacked both swallowed hard.

"Don't worry too mucb, the baby's nearly full term and before this was doing really well. The little guy'll be fine"

"Girl. She's having a girl" Jack threw at him.

"Yeh? A little princess" he turned at the sound of his name being called "Gotta go guys. Please, relax. We'll let you know what's happening as soon as we can. Someone needs to tell her family."

They stood silently together as they saw the receeding image of Jim go through the swinging doors before Daisy spoke.

"I'll go home and call Anna. Red gave me her number in case..." she gulped.

"I'll wait here." Sam said firmly.

"I'll be back in a while..." his brother and sister looked at him "what..." he pointed to Sam "he needs a shirt."