-10-

Not edited. Just want to explain about the length of chapters. This series is different to other stuff I've written and I've found that it works better to just do what needs to be done for each chapter regardless of the size. No I don't take offense to being asked about it, I'd prefer that to having people complain.

********

He woke up with sledgehammers attacking his head from the inside. Fuck, how much did he drink?

Forcing himself to move he winced as the pounding got worse and he lay back down until the room stopped moving side to side... or at least pretended to.

Pulling the cover back up with squinted eyes he couldn't help but realise he wasn't alone as a very naked body came into view. He looked up to the head of the bed and sighed in relief... Nicole.

Lying back down he tucked an arm around her waist and brought her into his body. Determined to sleep he closed his eyes to shut out the light.

"I'm not Red."

Maxon raised his head with a painful grimace "What?"

Nicole pulled away from him and sat on the side of the bed before turning to face him.

"I said. I'm not Red!"

"I know that. What the hell are you talking about?"

She shook her head sadly and stood up looking around for her clothes.

"Where are you going? Nicole?"

Forcing his protesting body out of bed he went to stand in front her. Placing his hands on her shoulders he forced her to look at him.

"Nik... what the hell's going on? I know you're not Red."

"Do you know what it's like Maxon when you get called by the exes name when having sex with a guy?"

Maxon's face showed the shock he was feeling... fuck... was he that drunk?

"Do you know how demeaning it is? How belittling it is? Fuck you Maxon!"

She pushed his arms aside and picked up the rest of her clothes.

"Nicole... I'm..."

"Don't you fucking dare! Once I could forgive but this is the second time! So don't you dare say you're sorry because it means jack shit to me!"

Throwing her clothes on quickly she grabbed her shoes and headed to the door leavibg Maxon standing in the middle of the room looking dumbfounded.

"I get it you know" she turned back towards him "I get that you you love her but you need to make a fucking choice Maxon. Either forget her or go and get yourself retested! Not all vasectomies work and there's a chance that yours didn't!"

"Nicole..." he took a step towards her.

"Don't" she raised a hand "Don't come near me Maxon. Don't look at me. Don't speak to me. Don't contact me again."

"No! Nicole..."

"Fuck you Maxon. Why don't you do us all a favour and get the fucking test done. Either way you'll know and if she wasn't lying then you need to find her and be prepared to crawl on your god damned knees to get her back!"

Her face was laced with pain as she looked once last time into his eyes.

"You don't deserve to be happy Maxon."

Then she was gone, walking quickly out the door and down the stairs. With the slamming of the front door behind her Maxon grimaced as he stood stock still wondering what if?