-27-

Not edited. 

Fully aware of her eyes on her his only thought was... how the fuck did he explain?

"I'm not sure what to say. I should have..."

"Yes you should" her voice choked up "you're a damn professor. You're supposed to have brains but you don't. You have book smarts not life smarts. I don't know what made you think so badly of me but I do know that I hated you with everything in me when you told me to get an abortion. I couldn't..."

Maxon felt the ten tonne pressure forcing his rib cage to implode as it pushed his heart out through his throat. She hated him? How the fuck did he get her back?

"Talk to me Maxon!" Red sounded exasperated with him "Explain things to me... please..." her voice lowered to a whisper "I need answers."

He blew out the air left  in his lungs for so long that he was sure it was stale as he pushed his long fingers through his hair.

"I'm old school. I know that sounds like a cop out but it's true. We were raised by our mother to believe that what a doctor said was law..."

"That's so stupid..." Red scrunched her nose up "to believe that..."

"I know. I know." He sighed and looked directly in her eyes "If I'd been in the right frame of mind..."

"Why weren't you? We were so happy Maxon. How could you think that I'd cheat on you?" Tears from months of pain rolled freely down her cheeks. "You wanted me to destroy someone beautiful. Look at her Maxon! Your daughter!  She looks like a mini version of you. You wanted me to kill your daughter! Why? What the hell happened Maxon? What did I do that made you think I could ever cheat on you?"

Maxon shook his head slowly feeling more disgusted in himself than ever.

"Nothing baby. You did nothing wrong. It was all me. My fault for not trusting you. I'm so sorry. Please, please forgive me."

Red looked at the man whom she'd loved with all her heart and soul. The man who'd made her feel like her very being was being torn into tiny shreds and burnt to ashes. She held her baby closer as she shook her head.

"Without answers Maxon, answers you aren't giving me. You're holding back secrets knowing how important the truth is right now. Without knowing them, without knowing why; I can never move on from this, I'll never have the chance to move forward" she pushed down the nauseous feeling that billowed from the depths of her body and stated in a firm though slightly shaky voice.

"I can't... I can't forgive you."