06 | Elora

"For the last time, cara. I am not letting you use my gun." Nico said to me as he shovelled a handful of chocolate chips into his mouth.

I let out a huff of annoyance as we loitered in the main hall of the mansion, waiting for Cin to grace us with his presence. Ever since Nico had woken me up at the break of dawn, I had been trying to persuade him to teach me how to use the gun that I spotted in the waistband of his slacks.

"Why not? I don't see the problem," I frowned.

"The problem is that you don't see the problem," he says as though he was talking to a child.

My frown only deepened. "Well maybe I would see the problem if you told me the problem, "I pointed out, narrowing my eyes at him.

"The problem is that you have no loyalties," he says, " How do I know you're not working for the government and won't kill me as soon as I give it to you."

I eyed him incredulously. "In case you forgot, you are the one who kidnapped me and forced me to agree to risk my life by playing devil's advocate."

He made a snorting noise that sounded like the smothering of a laugh. "Don't be so dramatic, cara. you are hardly risking your life."

"You never know," I say, fully aware of my tendencies of being somewhat dramatic when my anxiety spikes.

Nico's eyes sharpened on something behind me, but before I could turn, a deep, rich voice was heard.

"What are you doing?" Cin asked from behind me.

I turned to see Cin looking as meticulous as usual with his steely eyes staring straight at me. His eyes briefly flickered to Nico.

Seeming to remember himself, Nico straightened and strode past us towards a door on the left.

"I'll just be in this room," he says, opening the door, "hanging myself." He slams the door shut behind him.

Cin's gaze shifted to me and I shifted under his scrutiny, feeling awkward with the attention.

"Wow," I chuckled nervously, bouncing on the balls of my feet, trying to ease the tension.

"What were you doing?" He repeated his earlier question, stepping closer to me.

"We were just talking," I say, confused.

"About what?"

"I was only asking if I could use his gun."

Cin's eyebrows drew together in surprise. "You wanted to use his gun?"

"What?" I snorted. "Is it surprising I want to be able to defend myself?"

He eyed me with curious interest."No," He shook his head, choosing to elaborate no further.

We held eachother's gaze, studying eachother's face.

Cin opened his mouth, but the sound of a door opening echoed loudly in the now silent hall and Cin's face quickly transformed from curious to irritated.

"Boss," Nico called out, "It's time."

"Are you ready?" Cin asks, looking directly at me, not even sparing a glance at Nico as he entered the room, without his bag of chocolate chips."You remember the plan?"

"Yeah, tomorrow at five am, Cental Park, bring a dead dog," I joked.

I could see Nico's body shaking subtly in my peripheral vision, but received no response from Cin, except for a cold silence.

He obviously did not like my jokes.

Cin looked at me expectantly.

"Okay, okay," I raised my hands in mock surrender. "I remember the plan."

"Tell me."

I sighed."Get the file and get out."

Considering the simplicity of the plan, it would be fairly difficult for anything to go wrong.

"Good enough," he curtly nodded before making his way towards the entrance, leaving Nico and me to trail after him.

The large doors opened on his command and revealed a vast stretch of gravel and expensive cars.

We approached a sleek black SUV, where a balding man opened the car door and allowed the three of us climb inside and onto the pristine, black leather seats.

"What is your destination, boss?" The balding man asked Cin once we were all positioned comfortably, Cin and Nico sitting either side of me.

Heat rose to my cheeks as I tried to ignore the fact that Cin's thigh was pressed against mine and I could feel every muscle through his constricting suit pants.

"Tremola Avenue Morgue," he replied.

shorter chapter than usual but I decided to write it anyway. really not sure how i feel about it but oh well.