Chapter Twenty

We hear the clock strike two o'clock in the morning as we quietly make our way into the kitchen. Semyon holds my hand and intertwines our fingers, leading the way through the halls of our cabin rental. He slowly opens the refrigerator and hums to himself, wondering what kind of snack we are going to make.

"We forgot to buy sandwich stuff," he mumbles, his eyes still scanning the shelves of the refrigerator. "What else sounds good?"

"Ice cream?" I ask while tilting my head to the side and I see his eyes grow wide at my response.

"Ice cream? At two in the morning on Christmas Day?" Semyon snickers, then opens the freezer door. "Ah, cookie dough."

Semyon pulls out the small pint of ice cream and grabs two spoons out of the cupboard. He leads me to the living room as I sit on the couch. He hands me the ice cream and spoons before he turns to the fireplace, soon placing logs inside to start a fire. I smile at him as I open the lid of the ice cream, slowly digging my spoon into the pint. As I bring the spoon to my lips, my eye catches the engagement ring that is on my left hand. My gaze is fixated on the ring as it sparkles with the light of the crackling fire.

"I'm so glad you said yes," I hear a whisper over the fire.

I look up and I see Semyon walking over to me, then he sits down next to me on the couch. He pulls me into his lap and grabs his spoon, digging into the ice cream.

"Why wouldn't I?" I kiss his cheek as he puts his spoon in his mouth.

"Well," he mumbles, "you know. What I did to you."

I place my hand on his cheek and turn his head towards me, looking him deep in his eyes.

"Because that wasn't you," I whisper, "that was the alcohol. It causes us to act differently, whether it's good or bad."

"I was so scared I would never see you again, to apologize," he starts, "but now I have you and Cooper, and that's all I really need."

"And a Stanley Cup." I giggle, pressing my lips against his.

"That would be nice," he says in between kisses. "You know what would be even better?"

"What's that?" I ask as I slowly pull away from him.

"Round 3?" Semyon asks as his eyes light up and he moves in, attaching his lips to my neck.

"Round 3," I confirm, as he picks me up and we retreat to our bedroom.

*

*

*

Semyon's POV

I awaken early in the morning, too early, as I groan to myself. I don't want to open my eyes, but I want to see the beautiful girl laying beside me. I guess if I slowly poke open one eye, it won't hurt.

I bring myself to open one of my eyes, seeing blonde hair surround me. I smile and chuckle to myself as I see Cameron's naked body laying beside me underneath our flannel sheets. I pull the comforter over her shoulders so she doesn't get cold and I softly pull her body towards mine. I close my eyes once again as her head is now under my nose. I breathe in the scent of her vanilla coconut shampoo, relaxing me as I feel myself drift back to sleep. Until...

I hear the bedroom door creak open, soon hearing the shuffling of little feet. I feel a small figure crawl up onto the bed and slowly up to me. I pretend to be asleep and I try so hard not to chuckle.

"Daddy?" I hear a small voice whisper. "Daddy?"

I slowly open my eyes and I see Cooper staring at me with the biggest grin on his face.