Chapter Eight

Life has been crazy since the night Semyon hit me. I resigned as the Avs professional photographer, just so I wouldn't cross paths with Semyon anymore. As I turned in my media passes, I bumped into the rookie Gabriel Landeskog in the walk way. He was surprised when he saw I was pregnant, considering he flirted with me several months ago during training camp while I took his head shot.

Gabe, as he likes to be called, took me out for lunch after practice. I waited over at the restaurant across the street, just to avoid Semyon again. My face was covered in foundation and concealer, covering up the bruise his strong hand had left.

I told Gabe every detail of the last few months with Semyon. How we slept together the first day we knew each other, to us finding out we were pregnant, my parents throwing a fit and disowning me, and fast forwarding to the previous few weeks; Semyon changing, him hitting me, and me trying to drag myself out of this hole I was in. I wasn't sure if I would ever get out.

Gabe was sweet. He wiped my tears with his napkin while he listened to me ramble on about how terrible my life had turned out to be. He quickly became someone who I could rely on. He made it clear to me that he had feelings for me, but I also made it clear to him that I wasn't ready for another relationship. Hell, I don't know if I will ever be ready for another relationship.

Semyon had my heart, still. I loved him, even though he never heard the words roll off my tongue. I never heard him say the words, either. Maybe he didn't love me like I thought he did. Maybe he was just with me because I was pregnant. I guess I will never know now.

Those few weeks without Semyon grew into months. My heart was aching and I was longing for his touch. I laid in bed every night, wishing he would come through the door and sweep me off my feet. But I knew he wouldn't. He was leaving me alone, forever, like I told him to.

The time had come to where I was nine months pregnant. I was due anytime now. My water could break at any moment, and I didn't have anyone here with me. My parents disowned me, and hated me more for not believing them about Semyon, and Gabe was back in Sweden for the offseason. Gabe was so uncomfortable about leaving me, but I kept insisting that I would be fine. I could take care of myself. That's all I've been doing lately anyway.

I sat in the rocking chair in the baby room, slowly rocking back and forth. I turned my very small guest room into a room for my son. Gabe helped me arrange everything. A cherrywood crib rested against the wall, the sunlight from the window across the room shining upon it. I had bought several clothes and stuffed animals. I may have gone overboard with that, to be honest.

As I kept rocking back and forth, I felt a pain inside my stomach. I wince in pain and I take a deep breath, feeling it come once again. I screwed my eyes shut and bit my lip, whimpering as the pain grew stronger. I slowly open my eyes and they grew wide once I saw water all over the floor beneath me. My water broke. It was time.

Who was I going to call? What was I going to do?

I stood up from the chair and I grabbed my phone, immediately dialing my parents number. Please answer, please answer.

"Hello?" my mothers cheery voice rings out.

"Mommy! Help me! My water broke!" I cry into the phone, attempting to walk but I lean against the door frame for support.

"Call 911 and get an ambulance. We will meet you at the hospital. Stay calm, sweetie," she rushes and then hangs up.

I whimper and my thumbs dialed 911 for me. Minutes later, two paramedics came through my door with a stretcher being pulled behind them. They helped me on to the stretcher as I profusely apologized about them having to come here to get me since I had no other way to get there. If what happened with Semyon never occurred, he would be with me right now driving me to the hospital.