Chapter One

~*Four years ago*~

"Good morning, Denver! Today's weather forecast is 80 degrees and sunny with possible thunderstorms later on in the evening. If you're going out tonight, bring an umbrella just in case!" the sound of my radio shooting me up from a deep slumber echoes throughout my bedroom.

I groan as I slam my palm against the snooze button on my iHome, keeping my eyes closed as I lay there almost motionless. I didn't want to move, regardless of how beautiful the weather was supposed to be today. I honestly wish it was going to rain all day. I favored the rain over the blistering heat any day.

My eyes slowly opened, looking at the surroundings of my room around me. Photographs were pinned in an organized fashion across my baby blue painted walls. Photographs of family vacations, the beautiful nature Colorado had to offer, and of course some photographs of my passion: hockey.

I loved hockey and I was a huge Avalanche fan. I enjoyed going to games as often as I could, pressing my camera against the glass during warm ups. I would stare in amazement at all the players, snapping pictures of them either shooting, stretching, or being caught up in some pregame conversation.

This year I had the privilege of being the Avs' professional photographer. I was ecstatic when I found out the news. I probably jumped up and down on my bed for at least two hours until my legs felt like rubber.

Photography was a huge passion of mine. I brought my camera with me everywhere, because I wanted to capture the unexpected; such as lightning strikes over the mountain range, or maybe seeing a doe and her baby in the meadows. Colorado was the perfect place for a photographer like myself. There was so much here to capture and the memories rested upon my bedroom wall.

I rubbed my eyes with my palms before looking at my clock on my nightstand. It was 6:30. Today was the first day of Avs training camp. Today was also the day where I would snap their head shots for the season, maybe having them pose in different positions for the Avs website. I was beyond excited, but also terrified. Today my photography was going to be put to the ultimate test.

I rolled out of bed and I sprinted to the bathroom, quickly taking a hot shower in order to calm my nerves. I wrapped a towel over my body as I looked at my reflection in the mirror. My wet blonde hair hangs in my face, drops of water falling on to the floor beneath me. My blue eyes blink rapidly as my breathing hitches. I needed to make myself look presentable today for my first day on the job.

I picked out an outfit consisting of a black pencil skirt, black flats, a black tank top and a blue ruffled sleeveless blouse to wear. I slipped into the outfit and then applied my makeup, consisting of foundation, blush, eyeliner and mascara. I dried my hair and curled the ends slightly, spraying it to hold it all in place. I felt like something was missing and I bit my lip in apprehension. I put on my black rimmed glasses, hoping to look professional. I didn't really need the glasses, but I was hoping to hide the small bags forming under my eyes.

I rushed to pack up my photography equipment. I brushed a strand of my hair behind my ear as I put everything into the passengers seat of my white Nissan sentra. I sighed to myself as I had trouble starting the engine, but a smile of relief spreads across my face as I hear the small engine -somewhat- purr.

I realized I had time before I needed to arrive at the practice facility, so I stopped at Starbucks and ordered myself a green tea frappucino with a shot of raspberry and a slice of blueberry crumble cake. I arrived in the parking lot and devoured my crumble cake, slowly sipping my frappucino as I saw cars pile into the parking lot one-by-one behind a gated area, which was the players parking lot.