"Jeez, I wonder why they call it Greed City," I commented. "I might turn blind if I stare at that building for too long."

Alek scoffed. "That's exactly how Plutus likes it."

I frowned. "Is Plutus the God of Greed?"

He nodded. "Yep. That blinding building in the centre – not that you need help finding it – is his palace."

I gulped, worry forming at the edge of my mind. "If this is Plutus' palace...what does Hades' one look like?"

I didn't think I could imagine anything grander or more ostentatious than this.

He hesitated. "I'm not sure, I've never seen it."

"Why not?"

"Besides the obvious – trying to stay as far away as possible from Hades – there's never been anything for me there. I have heard a rumour though that his castle is surrounded by rivers of souls that have passed into the afterlife."

It felt like someone was tightening a hand around my chest, making me struggle to breathe. If Hades and Persephone had it their way, I'd be in their castle right now and would have already seen whether that rumour was true.

"Anyway," Alek continued, "I don't exactly imagine Hades as a 'people person'. I doubt he has this many people living around him."

I snickered, but a dizzying sensation took over and I retreated from the edge, focusing on the sturdy ground beneath my feet.

"How are we getting down there?" I asked, trying to keep the nerves from sounding in my voice. I glanced over at Alek, who was now holding Calista by her reins.

"There's a slight decline along the rim of the crater," he said, pointing to a spot a few metres from us. To my horror, I saw a pathway about a few metres wide protrude from the rock face and twist around the perimeter of the city, eventually reaching the city's ground in the far-away distance.

The thought of walking down there made me queasy – one wrong slip or fall meant I'd go plunging down to my doom. I tucked a piece of my ruined hair behind my ear, taking a shaky breath.

"You're not scared of heights, are you?" Alek asked, looking at me with suspicion.

"Nope," I answered quickly, trying to appear nonchalant. "Heights should be scared of me." I laughed awkwardly, making Alek stare at me for a few moments in silence.

"You're scared of heights," he concluded, sighing.

I didn't know whether he was disappointed or not, but I couldn't stand the look of pity in his eyes.

I raised my chin, clenching my jaw. "I'm fine. Really."

Then, before I could lose my tenacity, I marched towards the spiralling pathway, feeling Alek's gaze cling to my back. He pulled Calista along behind him, hurrying to catch up with my fast pace.

The faster I could get to the path, the less time there was for my courage to dissipate.

I came to a stop at the very top of the pathway, staring downwards. It wasn't a very steep decline, but it was the threat of the sheer drop looming below that made my stomach curl. I heard the sound of Calista's hooves hitting the ground close behind me and took a deep breath, starting the long descent.

~~~~

Walking downhill was like walking on stilts. There was just something about walking alongside a cliff that turned my legs immobile. I stuck to the wall as closely as possible, struggling with each step, while Alek walked carelessly in the centre of the path, Calista trailing behind him.