14: A Few Months Later - Liam

It has been a month since the car crash. I was still in the hospital because since the wreck was so bad, I had internal bleeding- something I didn’t mention to anyone to make them worry about me- so I needed to stay. And then, there was surgery on some broken bones in my ribcage and in my right knee. Time had started to go by fast, especially when you’re being catered to your every need in a hospital bed. It was almost like I didn’t want to leave, but I knew my time here was coming to an end, so I enjoyed it while I could. I didn’t get lonely, Holly, Bridgette, my parents, and Grandma all came daily for visits. I had to eventually tell them the truth about my internal bleeding and the surgeries since I was expected to stay in the hospital for another month. After that, physical rehabilitation for another month before I was even considered to return to school. My parents picked up my school work for me, if Kyle didn’t get the opportunity to drop it off at the house.

     Even though he confessed to using me, I held no animosity towards him. Nor did I hold any grudges towards Gabriel. Kyle’s a great guy, when you look beneath that kingly exterior about him. He was like a mix. A mix of Evan and me combined into one beautiful nutcase. Yeah, that was Kyle Collins in a nutshell. But still, he was extraordinaire. He did what he had to, just to get what he wanted in the end. And I respected that.

~

     The day had finally came when I was discharged from the hospital. Thankfully, my medical insurance covered the bills, my wheelchair and Dad’s Ram was great transport. I was wheeled into the living room, where Grandma’s gleeful eyes met my sad ones.

     “Now you know how old people everywhere feel,” she gave a hearty laugh before trotting off to the kitchen, skipping on her stubby legs. I rolled my eyes in annoyance and watched the television in the living room. 

     “Are you hungry,” Mom asked with concern in her tone. I looked at her and shook my head, looking back towards the T.V. I guess everyone didn’t get the hint that I was emotionally drained right now, and wasn’t going to be the Liam they once knew, “Liam, sweetheart, what’s wrong?”

     Once again, I shook my head and just smiled weakly at her, “Just tired. That’s all.”

     “Oh, do you want to take a nap? I could help you into bed.”

     My face literally dropped, and a frown had curved onto my lips, “Mom. It’s three o’clock in the afternoon!”

     “Oh gee, sorry,” she said with a sarcastic remark. I sighed and felt a hand impact the back of my head, “I’m just trying to care for my handicapped son, is all!”

     “Eureka!”

     Dad burst through the front door with a nerdy grin on his face. I didn’t know why, but it just annoyed the hell out of me. This was the guy I had gotten my looks from? He was a mature adult with all the authority a husband and a father should have, but a goofball nonetheless.

     “What is it, Harold,” Mom asked, folding her arms and looking at him curiously. I rolled my eyes and turned my attention back to the screen, not really giving a damn.

     "Liam, consider yourself healed! I got you a physical trainer, for free!”

     “For free,” Mom and I asked simultaneously, me with a little more sarcasm in my voice. I didn’t care, honestly! Couldn’t they see that?! What could I do to get my point across?! Buster sensed my irritation and hopped into my lap, licking my face and cheering me up.

     “Yes, for free! Well,” he paused, and his voiced lowered. He did this periodically when he claim he did something, but actually did another.