29: Slow Dancing In The Dark - Evan

It started raining.

Of course it did, everything is so fucking dramatic with these people. But a little rain never stopped anyone from finding out the truth about anything.

Zach and I made it back to Gabe's house, but we decided to watch everything unfold from the living room window. Though a curtain hung in front of it, a small crack in between was all we needed to see everything.

They were holding each other. They weren't kissing or fucking or anything else. They were standing, in the living room, just holding on to each other like they had no one else in this world. It made me feel a bit jealous, they had a strange bond that couldn't be explained, but we bore witness to it.

My eyes trailed over to Zach, who was still glancing in the window with a soft expression. If it wasn't raining, I would say he was crying. I'm not good with sentiments, I was never good with the sentiments, but I tried. For his sake.

"You alright?"

"He... really loves him, doesn't he? Even after everything they've been through, he never stopped."

His voice was shaky and weak, it was painful to listen to. I sighed quietly to myself, and turned back to the scene. They had sat on the couch and swaddled each other in an embrace. I guess he was right, Gabriel and Liam are a match for each other. No one else could compare.

I ran a hand through my wet hair, and turned my attention back towards Zach, "Yeah, I guess..."

"But... what should I do?"

"You're asking the wrong kind of guy that question. What do you think you should do?"

He finally broke his concentration on the scene and turned his attention towards me. He stood up from the window and pulled out his phone and started to type rapidly on its touchscreen. The rain didn't stop his momentum for one second, it may have even encouraged it.

After a few minutes, of nonstop typing, he turned his phone screen off and tucked it back in his pocket. His voice whispered, "I think I'm gonna head home."

"If you say so," I mentally slapped myself after sounding like a dick. I rolled my eyes at myself and tried to correct it, "Did you want to come back to my place by any chance? Get your mind off everything? I got booze."

I heard a genuine chuckle underneath his breath and it caused me to smirk to myself. He finally answered, "That sounds nice, but it won't be a good idea."

He started back to his car and I followed behind closely, "What do you mean, dude? We can chill and drink until we pass out and play video games and all that good shit!"

"I know how it'll go, though. It'll start with us just drinking and playing video games, but it'll end with us waking up in your bed in the morning. I've been through this all before and I'm not going to put either one of us through that."

"Aye, I'm not fucking gay!"

We reached his car and he stood at the driver's door and smirked. He dropped his head, making his long, wet hair droop over his eyes. His piercing blue eyes looked up at me, "Neither am I."

"Wha? But you and Liam-,"

He didn't let me finish, "You people act like you've never heard of bisexual. I'm bi. Means I like guys and girls. That's a thing, you know."

"I know what bi is, I'm not fucking stupid."

"Or are you?"

Fucker! Here I am trying to console his broken little heart and he insults me! I shot him a deadly glare that only cause him to burst into laughter. I grabbed his soaking wet shirt and growled at him, "What's so fucking funny?!"

"Your face," he started between his fucking giggle fit, "It's so funny."

"Whatever," I rolled my eyes and walked over to my truck. I watched him from my driver's seat as he got in his car and started bawling his eyes. He rested his head on his steering wheel, and all I saw was the convulsing of his back that said he was still crying. I, myself, sat back in my car and sighed.

I was sick of this shit. Everyone getting their feelings fucking hurt by everyone else. I was done with this whole fucking crowd and everything they've done these past few months. This was supposed to be senior fucking year of high school. We were supposed to do anything we wanted and not deal with the consequences.

It was supposed to be me and Gabe, and that's fucking it. No Kyle, no Liam, and definitely not Zach. Just me and my goddamn best friend.

I pulled out my phone and started composing a group text message. To everyone. I was telling everyone to completely fuck off and to leave me the fuck alone the rest of the fucking school year unless they wanted me to fuck them up. And this text went to everyone, Gabriel, Kyle, Liam, that bitch Holly, that lesbian trash Bridgette, everyone in my goddamn contacts.

I'm sick of this shit, I need new friends.

After sending the text, I turned my attention to the car parked next to me. Apparently, Zach had been the first to get my text because he had a smirk on his face as he was typing back on his phone. A chime came through mine a few minutes later with his message:

"I agree with Evan. There's too much going on with you guys that it's distracting me from my studies. I'm willing to be civil, but I'd rather not be friends. See you guys around school, I guess."

And with that, he started his car and drove down the street. I followed suite and drove in the opposite direction, ignoring the house disappearing in the distance that belongs my what I consider now, my former best friend.

This feels like a break up. Like I'm saying goodbye to a long-term relationship. Usually, I'm good at ending those, but this shit feels different. I'm ending friendships that were over four years old, and it fucking hurts. But it's fucking neccessary, and I won't look back.

Let's end this fucking book.