30: With Somebody Who Loves Me - Gabriel

"No fucking way..."

He and I walked through the halls of Livingston High hand in hand, ready to face the world. It didn't matter what anyone thought anymore. It didn't matter what anyone had to do anymore. All that mattered was happiness. Being happy about being with someone who loves you is one of the best fucking feelings to ever exist. Especially when there's no ulterior motives, no negative consequences, nothing but love.

Nothing but love.

We were approached by one of the girls from the cheerleading squad, and her eyes trailed to our interlocked fingers in between us. I saw her face flash between excited and denial, to disgust and intrigue, finally ending with a face that questioned everything.

A chuckled escaped my lips and I turned to look down at him, who just stood there blushing and looking away from the intruding girl. My hand squeezed his gently, reassuring his security standing with me. I looked back to the blonde cheerleader and shrugged.

"It's... complicated."

She shrugged and started past us. We watched as she walked away unaffected by the revelation, but we could tell this was only the start of the new rumor going around Livingston. However, we couldn't deny it no matter how hard we tried:

Gabriel Knight and Liam Jenkins are a couple.

But unfortunately, it was overshadowed by the feeling of dread that has recently washed over the student body. Evan and I were no longer speaking, Ryan Peters barely shows his face at school anymore, Zach gives everyone the cold shoulder, Bridgette came out as a lesbian, Holly is attempting to take Liam away from me, and Kyle acts as if he doesn't remember anything that has happened between anyone these past few months.

It's as if everything was... fucked up and reset to a new timeframe.

I sighed, thinking about everything. Apparently, it drew the attention of my partner, "You okay, Gabriel?"

"I'm... okay, I guess. Just thinking, is all."

"About everything," he said, taking his hand back and started walking away. I followed behind closely to continue listening, "you're thinking if being with me is really worth it."

"No, of course not! There's just a lot that happened and it just needs to process."

"If you say so."

I stopped him in his tracks and pulled him into my arms before he could get away any further. I felt him exhale harshly as he embraced me. This was really affecting him more than he was letting on. He was strong. Stronger than he had to be and for what? Just to make me happy? Just to let everyone know not to worry about him? It wasn't fair, not in the fucking slightest.

And I wasn't going to let him suffer this alone.

I hugged him like he didn't have anything else to hold onto in this world, and I know you could call me selfish, but I can't help it.

I loved him.

"Hey," I whispered, calling him to look at me with those soft, brown eyes. I gave him a bright smile and kissed his wrinkled forehead, "we'll get through this. Together."

His eyes began watering, but he was too strong to admit that he was going to cry later. So instead, he nodded the tears away for now and released me from his wrap. After a few minutes of calming ourselves, our hands found their way back to one another and we walked down the halls.

~

It was lunchtime and everything was feeling off. I sat with Liam, Holly, Bridgette, a few of the popular kids who still 'worship' me or some shit, and some of the unpopular kids. A few tables away- at the original popular table- was Evan, Zach, and everyone else the school considered popular. Ever so periodically, I would glance over to see and hear them all cutting up and laughing and shit like everything is fucking fine, but it wasn't and it bugged me. Badly.