Chapter 50 : Regret pt 1

Christopher Walters :

It has been hours since Hunter left after giving me a punch to the stomach. The news of having little chance to save my boy had really showed me how little I was in the world. With all this strength, I could do nothing but rely on the person my grandfather hates.

"Chris, never trust a person who can wield magic. Because you never know what's in their sleeves until you taste it."

Whenever, it was the memorial day of my unknown uncle, Nate, he would tell me the exact story of how the witch bewitched him to his death. He would then later, stay in his office to cry. Grandmother would be the one who soothes him until he was rather for bed.

However, I never understood why he kept the boy or why Aunt Lacey took care of him like her own son. She would take him away on that gloomy day because grandfather would humiliate and condemn the boy. Father didn't like him as well and when mother gave the idea of using the boy's powers to our benefit, both grandfather and father agreed.

Even at a young age, I felt they were using him for revenge on Uncle Nate.

The thought of the past made me unconscious of the time until my wife had came knocking on my door with a worried expression. "You missed dinner." Her eyes were moist and I knew seeing our only child in this state was eating this up.

"I'm sorry." She hushed me. "It's not a big of a deal to miss dinner once in awhile but I was just worried since you weren't responding." She came to hug me and her scent calmed me down but my memories brought back how I would love to just be by Susan and admire her presence.

"Everything is my fault. My father's and my grandfather's." I softly pushed her apart and locked our eyes. "I don't understand-" The confusion sipping in her expression at my words. It was time to reveal what was hidden for years.

"The curse. We've been curse because we did something bad."

"What did you do?" I shook my head. "I don't know. I don't know." I repeated the words like a maniac.

"Then, you did nothing wrong." She tried to hug me again but I refused. I dodged her touch for the first time in our married life.

"I did something wrong. I continued what they did even if I knew it hurts. It pains not only us but our mates." She was stunned at my behaviour. I was starting to act like Kyle. I was going insane - we all are.

"We didn't fight for our pack or ourselves. We were running away like cowards." I slammed my fists onto the table. Jane was hesitant to get closer but her trembling hand reached me. "I don't understand what you're saying, Chris?" Her tears desperately ran down her cheeks. She was torn in pieces and I did this - no, we did this. We shouldn't have involved someone as innocent as her to solve our problems.

"I have failed to be a good father." My voice had become soft and vulnerable - the opposite of what I had taught my little boy. "I knew what my father did hurts me and Susan." Jane was stunned at hearing the name that I had long not spoken of. "I had said to Kyle when he was a baby that I would never have him experience my tragic life. I would never make him choose someone else rather than his mate." She realized what I was getting at and her eyes were crying from my words but she needed to listen because she never knew the story behind it and was kept in the dark for too long.

"What my father said was a lie. Susan didn't die when she tried to give birth to our daughter. I told her to leave because I needed to be an Alpha and I needed an heir." Our distance grew.

"I know our marriage had no love at first but I never mind it because love can be blossomed." She was still the sweet girl I married - innocent and caring but naive. "But hearing you say that makes me-" She hugged herself and slumped down to a chair. "It makes me feel used." I closed my eyes at her words. I betrayed the one person who has always been there for me. Who gave me my precious treasure.

"It did at first but I got to know you and it was as if I had been given a second chance on true love."

"Everyday of our marriage, I told myself I didn't deserve a happy life. I threw away my love because my father told me. I married a sweet girl and used her for my own benefits. I was cruel and I know it. I was determined not to be happy until you tried to reach for my heart." I knew it wasn't going to fix what I had said but I wanted to redeem myself one last time at my wife. At my love.

"You gave me life a meaning again and you gave me something to treasure." I walked cautiously toward her.

"I am begging you, Jane. Please forgive me. You can throw me away or hate me but please forgive me." I could find a way to live with only her forgiveness even if she hates me. "I don't - I need space and time to figure this out." She pulled away from my touched as I kneeled in front of her.

"But first tell me, what did you do to my son." I took a step back and sat down at the chair in front of her. The distance was far enough to feel her cold glare.

"I'll start from the beginning." She nodded.

"I knew Violet wouldn't be his mate and I used her-" She gasped but said nothing more as to let me have room to explain.

"It was perfect when both of them were close and maybe, just maybe, he would love Violet more than his mate so when the time comes - he would reject her." I sighed at what had become.

"But then he brought Elizabeth. I panicked and pushed them to do something they shouldn't have. I made Kyle a coward to fight for his own mate. I made him a cheater and now, he'll never gets the chance to be with her again."

"They do say apples don't fall far from the tree." She was indicating that both of us were cowards to stand for our own mates. "But a child is like a white canvas and the parents are the painters. You showed him how to be strong but at the same time you ruined the canvas with your actions and wisdom."

"My mate died in front of me because we were rogues and exhausted from the lack of food and water. But he never did once left me on my own because he loves me and I love him. These emotion that your family is afraid of was what made me survive until the end. When you tried to save us, I saw a kind and caring Alpha. Who wasn't afraid to help someone other than their pack members. But seeing you now, what I saw that they must have been a dream - a foolish dream." She was surrounded by love and I did as well from my family but they also showed me hate and fear to other people. They hated the innocent kid just for what he had nothing do to with. The feared the inability to pass down the throne to their bloodline.

All I could think of was, we were greedy for power.

"Kyle, why is he having episodes?"

"It's a curse." I began to explain to her what Hunter had found and the book passed down to us.

||THANK YOU FOR READING||