Chapter 21: News

Lando Calrissian, in all his swagger, stopped dead in his tracks. "Luke?" His eyes glided over the Jedi in disbelief. "My gosh...it's really you."

Luke released a laugh and stepped towards his old friend, his heart full. So full he was sure he might cry. It seemed Lando felt similarly, since he quickly ditched his money in his pockets and embraced the Jedi. Squeezing so hard, that Poe was almost afraid for Luke's life.

"Oh, my old friend," Lando breathed. "It has been so long." 

Lando let go of Luke just enough for him to look at Luke's face. "Why the last time I saw you...the kid was turning, what? Ten?"

Luke pursed his lips. "Yes. It was...Ben's tenth birthday."

Lando's face fell, suddenly realizing what he brought up. "Time sure has changed," he mumbled. And then, in an effort to quickly change the subject, he added, "I mean, look at you. You have more wrinkles than my own mother ever did." 

It was enough of a subject change for Luke to gladly take. "Why, thank you. But have you seen yourself, lately?"

"Please. I still pull off the capes," Lando said with a smirk. His eyes turned to Poe, finally noticing him staring at the two in awkward awe. "And who's this fella?"

Poe fumbled out of his chair. "Name's Poe Dameron, sir. I-I have heard all about you from the General. You are--a legend in the Resistance," he babbled, his face unable to stop smiling.

Lando chuckled. "Heh, it's a pleasure, Poe." He shook Poe's hand, leaving Poe's face slack-jawed.

Luke just rolled his eyes and took his seat again. Lando followed suit. "What brings you to Brion then, my friend?" Lando asked. He took Poe's untouched Ardee and started drinking. Poe was too busy staring at his hand to care, mumbling something along the lines of, "He shook my hand. He touched me."

Luke explained what happened on Celanon, and the theory that the First Order had created a bioweapon to precede their attacks. "We think one of the minerals here, biomine, could be involved in the weapon. So Poe and I are here to investigate, figure out more. Perhaps find a remedy." 

Lando frowned. His fingers fiddling with his groomed mustache. 

"Do you know anything that could help us?" Luke asked.

"Well, if you're looking for the First Order, they are here," Lando affirmed. "Deep below. In the mines. They have some kind of complex. I don't know exactly what they're doing, though they've been hiring miners non-stop." He took a sip of his drink. "Word around here is that it's rough, but good pay. Don't know much beside that."

Luke thumbed his beard. "I guess that's our next location."

"And what's your plan? You just going to go in and storm the place?" Lando snickered. "Like that ever works out so well."

"Hey, the Cloud City incident was a long time ago. I'm better. Wiser."

"Oh, I bet. You are a Jedi Master now." 

"Yes, I am. And I am fully capable of--" Luke groaned. "You know what--why am I even fighting you on this?"

"Because you know that I have a plan," Lando smiled. 

He stood up from his chair and gulped down his drink. Poe and Luke stared, wide-eyed. Finished, Lando released a sigh of satisfaction. "You will never be able to sneak into the complex from the miner entrance," Lando continued. "Rather, I have a better alternative. Let's go."

And with that, Lando strode out the bar. It took a second for Luke to process what just happened. "Wait, Lando!" he exclaimed, running out the bar. Poe awkwardly stumbled after the two.