Chapter 17: Questions

Poe didn't really know what to expect of the legendary Master Luke Skywalker--destroyer of the first Death Star, son of the infamous Darth Vader, a man who defeated the Empire and raised up a new world. But watching the old man argue with his R2 droid was definitely not what Poe imagined. 

The two sat in corresponding X-Wings, hovering over Ehjenla. Poe's surprise at Master Skywalker's insistence on flying himself was furthered when he realized how well the Jedi flew. He was a tad bit amazed. But as they took off through the atmosphere and into hyperspace, Poe's trip with the Jedi grew increasingly interesting.

"R2, I know where we're going, you do not need to turn to auto-pilot," Luke scolded.

A series of sharp beeps could then be heard over the radio. Poe's eyes widened at the droid's response, and he glanced over at Luke. 

"You know what, I don't even know why I brought you along if you're just going to have an attitude about this." 

R2 aggressively beeped.

"I'd much rather have brought Threepio over you, if I was able. And believe me, that is not a compliment," Luke fired back. 

Poe couldn't help but smile as he watched the Jedi and droid argue. More sharp bwoops and beeps were heard.

"Yeah, well at least he doesn't question my flying since I haven't flown for a couple years!" 

"You know, R2," Poe chimed in, "his flying is pretty impressive. I don't think you should doubt him."

"Thank you, Poe." Luke nodded. "See, R2? I haven't lost my piloting abilities." 

Poe chuckled. "So pardon me for asking, Master Skywalker. But what's on Brion? And why are we headed there? You didn't really give me much of a briefing."

"Oh come on, my briefing was clear."

"You said something along the lines of, 'You're going with me to Brion. Pack up since we're leaving.'"

Luke gave an exasperated sigh, and explained what the General had reported about the disease the First Order seemed to be using and how Brion could be a key planet in their ploy. 

"Does this have anything to do with Finn and Jennica's mission to Gala?" Poe asked, instantly concerned.

Luke hesitated. "Well, they did report it."

Poe swore under his breath. "Great, they're in trouble."

"Honestly, we don't know that, kid. So let's focus on the mission at hand. This is all we can do for Rey, Jennica, and that other guy, Flit--"

"Finn."

"Finn," Luke corrected himself. "Trust your sister, alright?"

Poe didn't say anymore, his grip on the controls tightening. Before Luke could think to say anything more comforting, R2 let out a bwoop.

"We're nearing Brion," Luke reported to Poe. 

"Copy," Poe replied, unable to hide his tension in his voice.

It took but seconds for them to lurch out of hyperspace. The blurry stars righted themselves and the two pilots were greeted with the sight of Brion. 

Unlike the magnificent purple planet of Gala, Brion was all rock. Large craters were dug from years of mining all over the planet, giving Brion a very speckled look. Cities dotted the edge of the craters, ships hurrying to and fro the planet like insects to a hive. 

Poe expected, with Brion being under First Order occupation, that there would be a Star Destroyer hovering menacingly over the planet. But there was none. From above, there seemed to be no occupation at all.