Chapter 2: The Resistance

"Zeelee!" Jennica yelled, hoping the rain washes out how loud she is. She heard the Fynock flap her wings high above and a shriek followed in response. "Zeelee, get to the ship!"

Jennica ran, rain pelting down her face. It was ordered the first day she came to Arkanis to land her ship as far away as possible from the outpost, so if something like this happened, no one would pick up her taking off. No one from the ground at least. Jennica knew where her ship was nonetheless, a hidden instinct that she couldn't quite explain.

BB-8 beeped frantically behind her. "We're almost there. Keep going!" she replied. She could sense it, just a few more meters.

A streak of red zoomed past her, barely missing and hitting a tree. She flinched just a little but didn't stop. The troopers were catching up. She seriously wasn't expecting them to be that fast.

By the time her X-Wing came into view, more than one blaster was aiming for her. Zeelee sat on top of the hatch, flapping her wings anxiously. "Hurry, BB-8!" she exclaimed, as Zeelee flew up so she could open up the hatch. She quickly climbed up to the pilot seat, making sure BB-8 got to the magnetic arm okay.

"Zeelee, get in here!" Jennica cried. The Fynock flew down and nestled itself in the nock between her legs and the end of the helm. 

Jennica quickly put on her helmet, acting on pure adrenaline. She flipped some switches and pressed a few bottoms, getting ready to take off. The ship started humming with life. Eventually, the hatch closed shut, the airlock engaging.

The white of stormtroopers became clearer through the trees, and Jennica started panicking. "Okay, BB-8, lets go!" she said, attempting to keep her voice calm. She heard him beep in response, and she gently took off. It took all her concentration not to hit the surrounding trees. A clear view of the stormy sky appeared at last, just as stormtroopers reached the clearing.

She soared past the clouds that never stopped raining, past the atmosphere, into the deep vastness of space. The sight of the Star Destroyer sat waiting for them. She faintly heard BB-8 whir a warning of incoming missiles and Jennica veered to the left just as one was shot.

"We have to get out of here, BB-8. Set us to light speed on a course to the autopilot navigational coordinates--that should lead us back home." Home. A word so foreign, yet it was the only one that came to mind in that moment.

BB-8 beeped in response. A squadron of TIE-fighters came into view, but then disappeared as Jennica was seemingly sucked into space. Arkanis gone in a blink of an eye.

Jennica exhaled--releasing the tumble of emotions that was racing through her body. Another base taken, she thought, another nightmare to relive over and over again. She stared out at the streaks of stars. A burning grew in her throat. 

BB-8 noted her silence. He chirped a question. 

Jennica gulped down her rising tears. "Yeah, I'm fine, buddy," she answered, not being fine in the slightest. 

She shook her head and changed the topic. "How's everything back there with you?" she asked, checking the system preferences. 

At his response, her face broke into a smile. "Oh please, Poe is not half as fun as traveling with me."

He sarcastically beeped something in reply. 

"Oh come on! I'm way better at flying than Poe," she shot back. "He may be the best pilot in the Resistance, but...I'm his sister, so...I have skill."

She reached down and absentmindedly stroked Zeelee. The bird-like creature leaned into her touch, trembling. "Besides, BB-8, we'll be seeing Poe soon... And won't he be glad to see us," she said with a wry chuckle.