Chapter 59: Out of Options

Finn guided the group back to the hangar easily. It felt so natural that it unnerved him. But in no time at all, they found themselves back in hangar 15. Their shuttle sat waiting patiently, unaware of the panic of passing squadrons of stormtroopers evacuating. It was enough chaos for the group to run in with the freed-troopers, unnoticed.

Poe sprinted ahead and opened the boarding ramp of the shuttle. He leapt inside without a glance back. BB-8 wheeling after his master in his own haste. 

Finn was about to join them, when he noticed the lack of running feet behind him. He paused on the ramp, turning to see the freed-troopers hesitating at the bottom. 

"Hey, what's wrong?" he asked. "We gotta go, so come on!" He gestured them forward, but they didn't budge.

The man stepped forward. "We can't."

"Not with so many others still here," the red-head explained further.

"We have to make sure everyone gets out," the man continued. "Not just from this station, but from the First Order in general."

Finn frowned. "But-but we don't know how much time this station has left. There's no guarantee you'll survive helping everyone."

"That's exactly the point," the other woman said, with a curt nod. 

Finn felt a knot twist in his stomach. He opened his mouth to protest when the man stopped him. "Thank you for saving us, Finn. But this is where we part ways."

"It's been an honor, sir," proclaimed the red-head. She straightened, a hand sharply connecting with her forehead in a salute. The two others joined her. 

Finn stared, his mouth agape. 

He was torn from the moment by Poe frantically shouting behind him, "Let's go, guys!"

Finn spared the cargo hold a glance before turning back around to see the red-head right in front of him. His eyes widened at her sudden proximity. 

She smiled softly at him. "We, the FN, are at your service, Finn. So take this." She held out a small, blinking device. It was no bigger than his thumb, and contained only one thing: a blue flashing button. 

He eyed it before taking it from her. 

"Whenever you need us, just press the button. All available forces will come to your aid. And we shall strike as one," she explained further. 

He gave a nod, blinking at her in surprise. This rebellion was more organized than he truly pictured. And it all revolved around him. 

The red-head joined back up with the other two at the bottom. "May you bleed red, Finn."

"And may your helmet be discarded," the others finished for her. 

They then ran off without a farewell, perhaps not needing one. Leaving the chance they might meet again in the air.

Finn watched them go, a little stunned. 

"Finn!" Poe's voice rang out once more. 

Finn gave a quick exhale. "Coming," he called back. He hesitantly turned around, afraid to see the figures of the freed-troopers disappear from view. 

He placed the beacon in his pocket, thumbing it lightly. Although there was so much going on around him, and a barrage of thoughts bouncing through his brain, he couldn't help but feel a smidgen of pride. 

There was a rebellion. He had a rebellion. Things were going to be okay. At least, he hoped.